Re: Automakers Watching Consumers Online

I doubt seriously if GM is here listening, other wise they wouldnt have built an ugly GTO based on an Australian car. They would have known it wouldnt sell if they had been here.

> Automakers Watching Consumers Online > > By Michael Cohn > InternetWeek > > Consumers posting their criticisms online about the cars and trucks they > drive may not realize their views are being closely monitored by the > automotive industry. Most of the major automobile companies employ marketing > firms to keep close tabs on customer sentiment and how it's being reflected > on blogs, discussion groups, listservs, and enthusiast sites. > > There is no way to opt out. Like it or not, people who write their opinions > online are making their voices heard loud and clear with the big automakers. > Meanwhile, Detroit is doing its best to make sure negative perceptions from > dissatisfied customers don't sink the reputations of its latest models or > its carefully crafted, expensive ad campaigns. > > While some Internet users welcome the opportunity to have their views heard > by the companies that put them behind the wheel, others are surprised to > find their concerns monitored and answered online. > > Ken Payne, president of Ford Truck Enthusiasts, noted that Ford posts > "sometimes covertly and sometimes overtly" on his site. > > "When Ford is a little more open they're received a little better," he said. > "We also draw a line on our site between using the site to gather a little > information and using it for official market research." > > Payne believes the majority of the site's users are aware that Ford is > listening. "You always have your occasional guy who's a little paranoid > about that stuff," he said. "But most of them like the fact that they have > an ear with Ford." > > The site's users, according to Payne, influenced the design of Ford's 2004 > F150 truck. > > Car enthusiasts are invaluable to the auto industry, since some of them seem > to guide other users' purchasing decisions. > > "In every discussion forum, 10 percent are influencers," Bill Stephenson, > director of automotive business development at Intelliseek, said. "Those > consumers are resident experts who spend a lot of time in their forum, who > others know and trust." > > Intelliseek's customers include Ford, BMW, Lexus, and Toyota. The company, > which gathers marketing data from the web, monitors 9 million blogs, along > with 60,000 discussion forums, Usenet newsgroups, travel sites, and auto > sites. > > RSS feeds can create particularly pesky problems for automakers, since a > negative comment on one blog can quickly spread to a multitude of blogs. > Carmakers have responded by creating blogs of their own to influence web > users. One recent attempt by Mazda to launch a blog to tout a new product > backfired, however, when bloggers realized it was a fake. > > "It looked like it was created by a regular consumer, but the bloggers > smelled a rat and found it was created by an agency," Stephenson said. > "That's a big no-no in the blogosphere. You don't try to pull one over on > the bloggers. They are subject matter experts." > > To be fair, automakers can't be blamed when they encounter misperceptions > and misinformation on the web and feel they need to take steps to counteract > the damage. > > "A number of enthusiasts and owners were complaining about one technical > issue that they felt hadn't been addressed by the company despite them > complaining about it for months and months," Jerry Needel, vice president of > client services at BuzzMetrics, said. "The enthusiasts were literally taking > it to the level of telling people not to purchase the vehicle if they were > coming to the forum. The engineers were very surprised because they had > fixed it months ago, but it had never been communicated. The enthusiasts > felt like they were being ignored. It never made its way to the street." > BuzzMetrics has worked with a number of automotive companies, including > OEMs, parts companies, and service providers. The firm tries to take the > perspective of a consumer researching a car by looking at corporate sites > and third-party sites, and trying out Google searches to see what's creating > interest in a product, whether positive or negative. > > "Clients want to start monitoring buzz before a launch happens," Needel > said. "It helps marketers uncover expectations around a vehicle prior to > launch. If there are incorrect expectations, they can adjust them." > > When there's a product recall, BuzzMetrics tracks the consumer reactions and > signs of litigation. BuzzMetrics's biggest client is GM. Its technology uses > a spidering engine to find relevant conversations and converts them into a > single data format for analysis. The company then has analysts sift through > the information using business intelligence tools and compiles the > information into market-research reports. > > Competitor Brandimensions, on the other hand, runs algorithms to derive a > "sentiment score" that describes the emotional connection of the consumer to > the brand, and then tracks any change in the sentiment and volume over time. > The data comes back to a product manager who writes the final report. > Brandimensions finds that on average between 80 to 90 percent of consumers > research a vehicle on the Internet before they head to the dealer. > > Brandimensions monitors blogs and discussion forums to find where people are > talking extensively about a vehicle. When they are asking a lot of questions > or spreading a false rumor that could be damaging, they are assigned an > alert, which is sent to a contact center that helps the company decide how > to engage consumers in that venue. > > "We train clients to do it in an ethical and upfront environment," Bradley > Silver, Brandimensions's chief operating officer, said. "They establish a > relationship with the forum moderator and ask permission to address their > requirements." > > The effect of this type of outreach can be profound on customers. > > "They feel like they're getting superior customer service and being given a > voice," Silver said. "You're not there to snoop, but to provide them with a > service. Then it translates into something very positive." > > Whether it's perceived as positive or negative, the major automakers are > keeping close tabs on the Internet to see exactly which direction their > vehicles are heading. > > > ---JRE--- > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------ > > > > > >
Reply to
Lil Rascal

I feel sure you're totally wrong. GM is the 4 largest company on earth (I may be off by one, I don't recall). They have many, many, many people working for them. It would only take a few people, 3 or 4, to monitor online chat groups to glean useful information.

One of the problems with making a product is you become delusional about it, and surround yourself with people on your payroll. They have no real diversity at that point. They can really use honest feedback.

Now I know that several people will reply and say GM is stupid, and they're all total idiots, and don't listen, and blah blah blah. But remember - 4th largest company on earth. Many thousands of employees, several of whom aren't idiots. They are bureaucratic, and that's different from being stupid.

Reply to
Joe

If it costs nothing and makes a profit than it might be done. If it costs money and promises a profit there is a slight chance of it being done. But if it isn't their idea it won't get done no matter how much profit.

Reply to
Willy Wanka

Lil Rascal said he doubted if GM was "listening"...not doubted that GM was "monitoring". A BIG...HUGE difference!

IF they had been "listening" then Lil Rascal is right! GM wouldn't have launched the GTO in the form that they did. There were plenty of posts from plenty of people here in this NG (and other places) that accurately foretold the inevitable fate of the new GTO! Did GM monitor this NG (and the other places)? Probably did! Did they "listen" to what people posted? Well we know the answer to that...NOT! Am I surprised? Not at all...speaking as a former customer. Have I tried to provide helpful insight (letters to Bob Lutz for example)? Yes! Did he return any of them? No..not even a "thanks for writing" form letter). Any company that depends on customers for survival cannot act that way! One would think that elementary fact would be intuitively obvious. Guess not!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Rememeber, Lutz said in an interview that its GM's job to TELL consumers what they want!

LOL!

Yep, I want bland boring corporate "badge engineered" cars with the same engine, styling, interior, and ride but a different brand name ....

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Yes, I remember. He has things backwards! He wasn't like that when he was at Chrysler. What the heck happened to him?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Since that was a Bob Lutz Pet Project ... nothing could stop it :(.

The magic Sir Lutz was supposed to bring to GM has not happened.

John

Reply to
John Horner

When one becomes out of touch with the customer...bad things happen. His own words over the past few years speak volumes to that topic.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Oh come on Pauilie, you could of been mo help than that. You could of said put the pulley up to where it mounts and run the bolt in to 150lbs torque & reinstall the serpentine belt, closse the hood.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 302,116 miles
Reply to
Harry Face