Re: Heat Coming From Firewall 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix

You should post more information than this. The blower (yes it's supposed to be on) moves air. Air is hot, it's July, but it could get hotter if it blows through the heater core. That hot/cold lever on the dash is supposed to control that airflow. If you have hot air coming out of someplace, then tell us and tell us what that place is. I know you have A/C, but you should reveal that too and tell us it doesn't work. Can't you make the hot air blow out of the dash vents? Defrost? You need to convince yourself whether or not it is coming from the heater. If so it may be a lot of trouble to fix.

While driving my Pontiac (1977 Grand Prix), I notice that I can feel a > good amount of heat coming through the firewall. The engine doesn't > overheat or anything but I do notice that the blower seems to run at a > slow speed even while it's turned off. I've been told that a > consistent blowing blower is normal but I wouldn't think it's supposed > to give off a lot of heat. Does anyone out there know of a reason this > could be happening? Thanks in advance > > josh
Reply to
Joe

Hi Joe, thanks for replying. Whenever I switch vents I always feel air but it doesn't seem like it's blowing warm enough to cause the heat that I feel. I did notice that if the air is directed to the floor vents, the heat is a little stronger but still, the air doesn't seem all that warm. You're right, it is hot out this time of year but I notice the problem in the winter months also. I do have a/c and it works fine, I have to have it or the car is just hot to drive. It's hard for me to pinpoint where the heat is coming from but it seems to be very strong on the passenger side. Heater core maybe? I'm sure that's a fun job. Let me know if you need any additional info

josh

Reply to
77grandprix

Could be a restricted catalytic convertor. That will heat up the floor and radiate to the firewall.

-- GW - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you?ll be safe." - Gary Busey

77grandprix wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh