Replaced shoes on 2000 Montanna?

I have a 2000 Montana that needs new rear drum brakes replaced.

It grabs hard when you press on the brakes and makes a rubbing type sound.

The brakes are spongy and don't do much.

When I took off the drums I was expecting to see the normalsprings and etc that I have on my 92S10. The springs and etc are completely different on this thing. Is there a trick to getting them off or any instructions I can view to see how it's done?

Thanks!

LAnnie

Reply to
LS

It can be down with some screwdrivers and side cutters, but this tool makes it so much easier!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I hadn't seen that tool before. Good tip Ian. GW (swears and uses other tools on those darn springs....but may just go to

)

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Very nice indeed! Thanks for the input.

LS

Reply to
LS

Just in case they don't have the part locally, is there a trick or guide to using the F-BOMB method using screw drivers and such?

I have the normal tool I use to squeeze springs and etc, can that be used? It's like pliers with a little hook on one end and the round end where you can pop off the spring.

LS

Reply to
LS

You'll just have to experiment. Basically, you pry up the spring until it's riding on the brake shoe, instead of down the hole that it normally sits in....then you slide the brake shoe out from under it. I did it that way for a few years, but once I found this tool.....never looked back. The tool is great, it pulls the spring out of the holes, and holds it above the brake shoes. Takes two minutes to slide the shoes out and back in again.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I couldn't believe how easy these were to do. All I used was a screw driver to pry up on the spring and the shoes came right out. MUCH easier then the older style.

Thanks for all the help! Both sides were leaking and it was an ugly mess in there.

Lannie

Reply to
LS