replacing transmission oil cooler lines

Hi! I have a 1999 pontiac grand am SE, 3.4L V6 that is leaking trans oil from a steel line that is very corroded at the bottom of the radiator. I haven't found OEM or replacement parts for this line - has anyone replaced these and what did you use? And advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
michaelmarvel

What do you mean "haven't found"? What did the Pontiac dealer, that you went to, to order the line, say? GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

That's just a steel line with flared ends. Usually they're 1/4", but they could be metric on your car, I don't know. You just buy those lines at the store in various lengths and bend them to shape. They may not service them at the dealer, I don't know. They certainly won't sell them already bent to fit at the auto parts store.

Reply to
Joe

In a pinch, If the steel line is coming out of the radiator, it's a transmission cooler line. Use a small pipe cutter, cut in two, put a rubber hose on it that overlaps about 2 inches on each side and 4 hose clamps. Two on each side,180 degrees apart.

I've done this trick several time with no problems.

NOTE: Transmission fluid/power steering fluid are HIGHLY flammable when sprayed on a hot manifold. It will burst into flames very quickly.

Reply to
BAD 4 GOOD