Previewed the 05 Mustang today.

Our local Ford dealer had a 4 hour preview of the new Mustang today. I went, I saw, I was disappointed:( I expected a completely redone car, not a mild makeover.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I saw it a couple of months ago at the OKC Auto Show and my reaction was exactly the opposite of yours. I'm surprised that anyone can rate it as a "mild makeover". There's only a *very* few things that carried over from the '04 GT. Where exactly do you find the similarities that cause you to view it this way?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

It is a completely different car, there are few (if any) parts that are carried over from the SN95 platform.

Reply to
WraithCobra

That's the first time I've heard that from ANYONE who's seen the '05. Please do elaborate on what you mean by a "makeover". Your statement above implies that there were interior/exterior parts used from the previous model....prove it.

Reply to
Iggy

Big Al opined in news:k8Djc.150$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

So... you expected a Completely Redone car.. like the 94 model, huh?

Sheesh!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Actually I didn't see that much. They would not open the hood or trunk. And there was so much glare on the windows I really could not see inside. The dash is somewhat different, the back of the roof line and trunk are different, more "fastback" styling with a very short deck lid. The front has some of the 67 look. I did get way under the rear. Similar to a 04 GT. I was trying to see if they set it up for the independent Cobra rear, and it appears they did. Looking at it straight from behind it looks very much like an 04.

They had the 300 millionth Mustang built on display too. Had a line of 04 Thunderbirds and some 03 and 04 Mustangs. I looked over an 04 yellow GT premium coup with leather interior. Asked for the best price. They were supposed to call me, they didn't. They had a used white 03 Cobra on display for $31K.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

"Big Al" wrote

You've got to mean the 300 millionth Ford. It just happened to be a Mustang. Imagine Three Hundred MILLION mustangs? Imagine how many Fords total would have been built if that's just the Mustang line over 40 yrs. Billions? I think not. :P

Reply to
Scott Williams

Strike 2 for Big Gay Al...

Sorry...that is another episode.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Agreed. It is anything *BUT* a mild makeover. But I am still not real crazy about the car's interior and that high beltline all but demands that you go with a darker color and avoid white like the plague.

BTW -- off topic, but when are you going to be in my neck of the woods again?

Reply to
Tungsten

Big Al opined in news:HMHjc.247$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Well, since it's a WHOLE NEW PLATFORM for the first time since '79... I guess you would chalk up the similar looks to brand recognition or "continuity".

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

As long as they prevent it from becomming a ricer. The "Mazda MX-6horror-threat" from years back and even the 1994-1998 were a bit too close for comfort. Ford must remember one thing; Keep the lines somewhat sharp, you won't go wrong.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

mild makeover ? It IS completely redone. What is the same may I ask ?

Rein

I second that. The outside isn't bad, the inside I can't get used to yet.

Rein

somewhat different ?? holy cr*ap dude.. you sure you weren't looking at the old model ??? the dash is completely different.

yes, the cobra will have irs. gt and v6 won't

Rein

I saw it at the Cleveland auto show. Bigger brakes all the way around. Bigger rims. they moved the gas tank forward of the rear axle which is solid. Also the gas tank holds a whopping 16 gallons. they also added 150 pounds of weight to the rear to balance the car at 52 front 48 rear. They upped the hp a little I thought they are going with a 4 valve motor along the lines of old cobra and mach 1. Of course this was all preliminary so it could/has changed. Oh by the way the kept the reliable and smooth tremac transmission.(presenters words not mine)

Reply to
pete

2010? geez, I have no idea. Now that I'm no longer a travellin' Jones I'm stayin' close to OK for the most part.