ses light

I posted a few weeks ago but seem to have lost the post and a couple of replys I received. Have 93 grand am, 4 cyl, and service engine soon light comes on while driving. I just noticed this week while at a traffic light, the fan will kick in when the light comes on. Harder to hear this while driving on highway. Seems like one of the replys I got was an air, osygen sensor, or somethin like that. If this is the case, where exactly on engine is this sensor, and what can I expect to pay. Car runs fine, a little rough when light comes on. Will stay on for several minutes at times, then again only few seconds. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Tom

When the light comes on the computer goes into a limp home mode .. so that the car will make it to the shop. Use some method of reading the codes, that will at least tell you what is tripping the ses light..

Reply to
clevere

I've been running my Pontiac 6000 like that since September! LOL! Try reading the engine blink codes (I have an article on that at my site in the articles section). Then find the code in a Haynes manual. Alternatively, if your local AutoZone isn't too busy they can read the code for you and tell you what the code means.

This sounds like a Coolant Temperature Sensor or just the normal Temperature sensor (there should be one of each in your car). I replaced the CTS but the code is still storing (after clearing the computer) so I'm suspecting the Temperature sensor. The fan will kick on when this happens I bet that's what it might be.

If you don't have any indication that your engine is running too hot (ie. temperature gauge or light doesn't show a problem with overheating) then it more than likely is a sensor.

-- [*]~ Fuzzie Dice ~[*] Kitt: 1987 Pontiac 6000 w/ 145,000+ Miles Knight Dreams: The restoration of Kitt

FuzzieDice