Having trouble installing an aftermarket stereo in a 2000 Pontiac grand am

Well I got a $12 adapter kit, a wiring harness, and an antenna adapter. After "customizing" the stereo to fit in the car, It works fine, but whenever the stereo is on and no volume is coming out of the stereo, I get some very annoying feedback out of my rear factory speakers! Its a very low-channel bass sound. Just a big buzz. For instance if you turn the volume to 00, or change tracks on the CD. There will be feedback inbetween tracks! anyone else having a similar problem? The stereo is a JVC KD-AR400 CD/MP3 deck.

Reply to
Cory Wilson

sounds like its hooked up wrong

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

uh...yeah, I'm gonna need more info than that. Anyway it appears to be hooked up fine, but Still getting that annoying bass feedback, and don't know why.

Reply to
Cory Wilson

Was the factory stereo the Monsoon (or maybe Bose) one or just a regular Delco one?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Was the stereo tested outside the car to see if it has that rumble all the time or just when installed into the dash?

Reply to
john graesser

The factory system was just a regular delco CD player w/equalizer. Haven't tested the stereo outside of the car.

Reply to
Cory Wilson

Testing the stereo outside of the dash is a good call. I think what the poster that mentioned that is getting to is what I was thinking as well.

You're most likely getting static interference from either the car, or the wires on the back of the stereo. You're probably hearing a ground or positive buzzing.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

That may be it. I also think it might be that maybe the speakers are wired backwards. If it's just the rear speakers then I'd check the wiring harness. From the looks of the schematic here there's a 4 port part on the factory stereo that goes to both rear speakers. I'm thinking that the harness may be backwards for that part. BTW, the rear speaker cable wires are RR - = lt blue, RR + = dark blue, LR - = yellow, LR + = brown.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

On a second thought, if the wiring harness is backwards you can adjust the balance and fade to a certain rear speaker since the factory stuff is wired RR+RR-LR+LR- (I believe) and if the other speaker is the one putting out the sound then that should be it.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid