Shift kit or not?

Hey all I have a 1993 Bonneville SSE with the 3.8 auto that has 155k miles on it. Im wondering if I should put a shift kit in it. my understanding is that a shift kit makes the shifts faster therefor decreasing heat buildup from the clutch bands. if this is correct then wouldnt it make sense for me to put in a shiftkit. Also since im here, should I put in another tranny cooler. It has one from the factory installed but since I have the room infront of the radiator and a cooler in the garage why shouldnt I do it. Thanks Steve

Reply to
seeray28

Given the mileage your best bet would be to leave the transmission alone and be gentle. If you are lucky the transmission will outlive the engine. If your tranny hasn't been maintained religeously (even if it has) with that much mileage making a change like adding a shift kit will be more likely to decrease life expectancy than increase it.

Also, be very wary of the new transmission flush offered by many mechanics. While OK with a new car, on an older tranny it tends to loosen and release old sludge and varnish into the system and cause a quick failure.

Continue to do routine maintenance and keep the fluid at the right level and it will live as long as possible.

Good luck, Steve

Reply to
Prodigy News

I agree. If you've got 155,000 miles on it without a rebuild, then it's too late to save it from wear. Don't bother it. Keep the fluid changed. After it dies, if you want to make it last a long time on the 2nd go-around, you could add a cooler. But realistically, what's probably going to happen is you'll junk the car long before tranny longevity after a rebuild becomes an issue.

Reply to
Joe