Steering Shaft & Wheel Vibration

I've had the intermdediate steering shaft lubed in my '02 Bonneville at 30000mls. I'd heard about this issue in several other mid and full-size GM cars, but so far thought that somehow I'd be luckier. Anyway, I wonder if the lube kit contains a grease that won't dry out. Would anybody be able to say?

Now, another issue that has been endemic to the H-bodies is a resilent vibration at a specific speed, between 65 and 70MPH in my case, that refuses to go away with wheel balancing. After replacing loose tie rods, the issue was still there, and after road force balancing, the dealer concluded that the tires were bad and that they'll be replaced under warranty. So far, so good. But is this the actual fix? Now, to those who work in the dealer service area, can I get to choose the tire of my liking, must it be like the original tire or must I accept whatever they get?

TIA

Reply to
Neo

The TSB, Clunk Noise from Front of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver/Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate Intermediate Shaft) #01-02-32-001C - (09/12/2003) says to use 26098237 Steering Column Shaft Lube Kit.

If your tires are getting replaced under WARRANTY then, you'll get the EXACT SAME tires that were on it from the factory. if you're paying for the tires. then you can chose which ones for your car.

Reply to
DeathRat

But does this kit contain a new grease that won't dry out and require another lube job down the road, particularly when the warranty expires?

Yes, it's under warranty. Then it's fine. The OEM Eagle RS-A is not too bad: it's noisy, but handles well, dry or wet.

Thanks.

Reply to
Neo

every tire has a small "V" or a dot stamped on it somewhere. the air valve stem must be alighned with the "V" or dot on the tire. becuase the tire is counter balanced for the valve stem. now remove all the wieghts inside and out and test drive. maybe the tire is on the rim backwards, inside-out. this is a tire balance problem, generaly it will go away with a little TLC. could be alighnment but we doubt it. what about wheel covers switch rotate tires, front/back back/front

Reply to
R F