'89 Civic - steering wheel vibration

The steering wheel on my '89 Civic vibrates noticeably left-right, like the car is alternately pulling in both directions, when going 50 MPH or better. At lower speeds I don't feel it (or it is slight enough that I don't). I checked the tire pressure, and they're all good. Is this an alignment or other issue, or just the age of the car showing?

Thanks, Matt

PS- Thanks to previous posters for the info on my oil consumption problem; after I replaced the PCV valve, head cover gasket and switched to Castrol Syntec the consumption dropped off the table, it's very slight now.

Reply to
Matt

Possibly alignment or tie rod ends, but more likely its an inner CV joint.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

check for play in all the suspension joints. if none, get the wheels balanced. all 4 of them.

it's great when people post results!

Reply to
jim beam

If the vibration comes and goes at a steady rate much of the time, like over a half minute cycle, the wheels need a good quality balancing. If the severity is steady, there is a chance one of the tire treads is starting to separate from the carcass - but that normally feels more like a vertical "tramp."

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

My '84 Honda did the same thing and it turned out that the tread belts were coming off the tire. So at low speed there was no noticable difference, but at freeway speed there was just enough slipage inside the tire to cause it to vibrate left-right dangerously. It wasn't apparent until I had the tires removed for balancing and then the repairman saw the tail-tell cracks.

Reply to
Brad Taylor