turn signal relay

My daughter's 04 Grand am V-6 . Turn signals work fine all bulbs work.Four way's work fine also.and you can hear the flasher or relay clicking when they are operating. However with turn signal off and four way's off the relay or flasher still click,but not at a constance speed.I pulled the dash trim loose and removed plug.pluged back in same problem.Thinking about replacing relay. Looks like relay and hazzard button are one in the same.Car has not been in wreck. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Reply to
fpi

There was a TSB for 1999-2002 G/A bad hazard switch. See if it has been extended.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

You are not the only one with the fault, I had the same problem in my 01 Grand Am, Fixed it myself, it will take about an hour of you take your time, NO PARTS NECESSARY. If it is erratically clicking from the hazard area and the lights do not light up then my fix will probably take care of it. DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH REMOVING PARTS OFF OF THE STEERING COLUMN. Be sure to remove the battery power FIRST, do not forget your radio security code! I had posted this fix about 1 week ago and it is still listed but I will repost it again. It has been about 2 weeks since I fixed it and there have been NO problems.

I want to state that I take no responsibility for anything which may happen to you or your vehicle from the information I am giving you, proceed at your own risk.

These instructions are for a 2001 Grand Am SE with the ignition on the dash and only Cruise Control on the wheel.

1- remove three screws from the underside of the steering column cover, use a 7mm nut driver, you can also use a TORX driver but I don't know what size.

2- take the upper half off by snapping the front edge up first and then pulling slightly towards you, don't worry about the bottom half, the tilt lever would have to be removed and that's a little tricky.

3- there is one screw in the top of the black plastic assembly that has the switch/handle assemblies of both sides of the column, remove it.

4- disconnect the 3 plugs from the back of the assembly and the assembly should now be able to be removed.

5- if you look carefully in the area of the assembly near the turn signal handle you will see some gaps in the plastic with metal along the edges of these gaps, now moving the turn signal handle and you can see the wiper move across the gaps, along the path that the wiper moves you should see some grease sitting in the gaps, THERE IS THE PROBLEM!!!! Remove the grease with a tooth pick as best possible, really give it a good cleaning, DON'T USE ANY SPRAY OR LIQUID CLEANERS, they could yield undesirable results. You can clean the grease from all of the other gaps you see as well. The grease was put there originally to lube the contacts and prevent oxidation of the metal.

6- reassemble in the reverse order, EXCEPT, pay attention to a metal pin sticking out of the upper center portion of that assembly on the edge facing towards you, if you press on it it will move inwards and move back out when you let it go, as you are putting the assembly back into place you will see that it will bring up against a metal plate just behind the steering wheel, push the pin in so that it goes behind the plate and the assembly will go the rest of the way down, NEVER FORCE ANYTHING.

7- put the screw and plugs in and check everything out, if all is well then put the cover on by hooking the back edge in first and snapping the front edge together, reinstall the 3 screws.

8- YOU ARE DONE!!!!!!! Should take 1/2 to 1 hour. NO PARTS!!!!

Now you may wonder, HOW THE HELL DOES A BIT OF GREASE CAUSE THIS, well I could get into the technicalities of this but it may bore you, suffice it to say that electronics are a different animal that straight electricity. If you want the technicalities then let me know and I will post it.

GOOD LUCK

Please post your results, I am curious to see if this is another one of GM's inherent problems.

Tech

Reply to
Tech

It has been over 6 weeks since my fix, still no problems.

Reply to
Tech