928 advice sought

Went and saw a black 928 GT of 1990 earlier today. Took it for a small spin too, around a rather populated block of flats. Felt good. The Brit owner, who came across as someone nice and not particularly as one trying to palm off a lemon, won't budge any lower than USD 9k.

The paint job is good, tires are new (Pirelli) and body appears to be in an excellent condition. The owner said that he replaced the entire aluminum engine 40,000 miles ago and the engine felt nice.

Apart from the reasonableness of the quoted price, I thought I should get one other thing clarified here. He mentioned something strange - that this particular model isn't so much known for sporty acceleration as exhilarating long-distance endurance cruising. I found things even stranger when he mentioned that the motor is a 5 liter V8! A 5-liter Porsche engine that doesn't accelerate?

Anyone here who'd owned this car or known someone owning a similar model who might give me some inputs?

I basically need to make a call between a 1993 968 and this 1990 928, both of which are quoting the exact unyielding USD 9k.

Thanks,

Ramapriya

Reply to
D Ramapriya

A 1990 928GT for $9k is a steal unless it has hellacious miles on it, and even then it is probably a good deal. He's completely wrong about the acceleration and endurance. These cars are made for 100 mph+ cruising and are quite quick and fast and the huge gas tank is there specifically for long distance driving. The 0-60 is less than 6 seconds, while that's not supercar acceleration by todays standards, that's still pretty good. There may be some performance issues with this car in particular that makes it feel slower to him, but that's not the norm for these cars, especially the GT's. If it's mechanically sound and cosmetically acceptable, pounce on this car!

Reply to
Vball23

I failed to mention that he stated the 0-60 figure as just over 7 secs. I believe he had that recorded by a professional set of people recently. I think he said 7.5 secs.

Ramapriya

Vball23 wrote:

Reply to
D Ramapriya

The 928 was built as a comfortable high-performance "GT" car, which stands for gran turismo, something like "grand touring." While it is fast and handles well it's not strictly a "sports car" like the 968. If a modern Jaguar ever appealed to you the 928 is probably your best choice. If you are looking for a real sports car the 968 is the one to buy. Drive them both over a variety of roads and speed conditions and pick the one you like best. They're both great cars, but are not the same driving experience.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet
0-60 in 7.5? This car needs tuned! I have an 88 s4 and it's much faster to 60 than that. Probably needs some TLC. If it's in good shape though and just needs tuned up/maintenance, it's worth much more than $9k, at least double, depending on mileage.

Reply to
Vball23

That's quite what I wanted to see, Alan. Thanks a lot. I see myself using the car to just nip around inside town but not really take it on long hauls, for which my C240 would be the more obvious choice since I've to invariably take along my wife and kids :)

And here in the United Arab Emirates, I can't think of a road that isn't radar-controlled, so the best I can do is have acceleration kicks within Dubai :)

Looks from what you say that the 968 should be the better choice for that!

Ramapriya

Reply to
D Ramapriya