924 fuel pump

Have a 81 924, has been sitting for years. Just decided to get it ready for my daughters 1st car. Both fuel pumps are seized. I remember reading
somewhere that prior to 79 only one pump was used. What is the purpose of the internal pump? The external pump inlet is level with the sump.For ease of replacement has anyone tried a aftermarket external pump and ditch the internal. Accel, Walbro or any other external high pressure pumps are readily available and cheaper. The only scenerio I can think or requiring the internal pump might be high G cornering with a low fuel level. Someone stop me before I cut the internal pump out and stop by Summit and pick up a Accel pump.
You may want to pull that gas tank out and treat it for rust and seal it internally using por for fuel tanks. I was suprised how badly corroded mine was when I looked inside it.
As far as ditching the internal pump I am not sure about that. When I first pulled the internal pump, it was so badly clogged it looked like hard tar mixed with sand. It had obviously been doing its job. I have read the internal pump helps protect the external pump and it filters the fuel. The car was engineered with it for a reason. I have a 1979 924 and I replaced the internal pump for $128. Then I obtained a new external pump for $160 +shipping. I obtained the Pierburg pump recommended on 924.ORG. Overall I replaced both pumps for $300.
http://www.924.org/techsection/3fuel.htm#7 Fuel Delivery
-- DANIEL MEDINA

for
Someone
Alright thanks, The pump prices are definataly cheaper than the ones I have been looking at. I can put the right pumps back on for just a couple bucks more than a aftermarket, and they are closer. I live in NW Ohio