944 Turbo or 928

I'm thinking of either a 928S or a 944 Turbo. I like the look and sound of the 928 but hear the cost to service and run is not cheap. I was told to look at a 944 Turbo as possible alternative.

What do people think of the cars? How do they compare to drive?

Reply to
Andrew Sword

For What It's Worth: My flat (next door, co-op) neighbor ran, actually wailed, on a 928S, Stockholm to Frankfurt in one day type driving on a weekly basis. His car was bullet-proof. It never died, or left him on the break-down lane... He did bitched about the unreliability of his son's BMW Z3.. His wife drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee which they all agreed was a fine automobile.

Me, I got absolutely no experience behind the wheel of either..

But I once had a customer who confided in me and said he made the choice between the down-payment on a house and a 928S and opted for the Porsche... I was brought up differently..

Regards.

2003 911 Cabriolet
Reply to
Holden McThynge

The difference is that the 928 has a V8 and the turbo has a turbo. The

928 is more luxurious and has more room. Very different driving experiences.

As to the cost thing, this is widely overstated. Both cars will be wildly expensive compared to a Chevy or other mass-market car. There may be an edge to the 944 as more were built, but with the turbo added, I'm not sure it makes any difference. Check out common rreplacement parts like brake parts, belts and filters. Nothing to get excited about.

Andrew Sword wrote:

Reply to
someone

Maintenance is about the same. The turbo will handle more nimbly because it's lighter, but will suffer from turbo-lag for in-town driving; it's got an well-marked path to upgrading that can make it a monster, but it will never be a great in-town driver or commuter. The 928S has more room but less headroom, more grunt for most situations, and more cargo capacity. Heavy but handles pretty well, not as many upgrade options unless you start supercharging. If turbo-lag bothers you, I'd recommend getting a 944S2, which offers some of both worlds: the performance of an '86 turbo with the driveability and luxury of a 928S (though not an S4 or GT). Then again, I think the 944S2 and 968 are among the best Porsches ever made, and the most over-looked. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

if your going for a 928 (and i recommend that, being a former 928s4 owner, current 996 cab) go for a 87 to 95 model. It would be a S4 or GTS. The S4 can be very affordable. 316 hp and 319 lb/ft of torque. with a couple of inexpensive mods (like RMB rear muffler bypass) it will sound like hell on wheels. plus its definitly a rare car to see on the road. i still see a boatload of 944s around.

Reply to
Sam Hain

What is the weight difference between the 944, 944Turbo, and 928?

I imagine that the 944 is the better "track car" and the 928 the better muscle-car (competing with Mustangs and Camaros)... with Porsche refinement, of course.

Reply to
Mike Fisher

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. The 928 was introduced to the market as Porsche's answer to Camaros and Trans Ams at the time. I've sold Porsches for the local dealer here in NC, so I've driven them all. I also own an '89

944. 928: V8 monster with much more weight. 944: Very quick and nimble fun car. Easier to see out of too.

Reply to
Fred Aston