Final thought on the Why Jeep sucks thread

Here is a good test : Go to the dealer of your choice,pick out their "off -road SUV" tell the salesperson you want to buy it but would like to test drive it off-road on a hard trail and ask if they would like to go along. Mortified saleperson look.............priceless.However ,if your lucky maybe you'll get to take a rubicon for a ride!!

Jeeps are still the best stock 4 wheel vehicle ( I don't consider Liberty to be a Jeep)

Reply to
jfc

I saw on TV where a Hummer dealer went over the top with that stuff. He actually had some difficult obstacles to teach them. It was a huge dealership. Pretty impressive. If I had a local Jeep dealership that did that, I'd buy from them just to support their effort, so long as they got to my terms.

Reply to
Big Daddy

When I was buying a Porsche a few years back, the dealership allowed me to test drive it... Very curvy road near the dealership... Over 100 mph in the straightaways... High G turns... Was looking for a 928 with a 5-speed, but couldn't find one... Test drove 911s, 928s (autos), and 944s... Ended up with a 944 Turbo...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Well I kinda put my foot in my mouth on the Corvette one... GM is doing a "Auto Show in Motion"

that I went to yesterday. You could test drive a Corvette on the test track.... No real race track but a straight away that will let you get it to 80mph if you are fast enough and a few corner (some spun out.)

I guess my point was most dealers don't really let you do any thing more than go for a mile or two test drive...

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

Approximately 8/17/03 01:47, Grumman-581 uttered for posterity:

Seems fairly common for the dealers interested in long term business. When I tested my Porsche, the salesman knew of an area of freeway still not open to traffic and suggested I take it on a full tour of the ramps at speed.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

ive had many dealers let me keep vehicles over night. in fact, crown dodge let me take a vehicle on saturday and asked that i have it back when they open monday, and to "please call" if i would be later than lunch time. they were so nice about it i almost felt bad about not buying from them.

almost.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Approximately 8/17/03 19:05, jfc uttered for posterity:

Overnight test drives have become pretty common lately. Claim is that they work almost as well as discounts, or at least allow a sale with a smaller discount.

I think I'd have a chat with the highest management in the dealership about competition being smarter than they are. Wouldn't surprise me tho, as when the missus bought a used GC, the Jeep dealer refused to even consider matching the prices on similar models to the Ford dealer two doors down...one month after 9/11 yet. And couldn't understand why all his salestypes were drinking coffee and the Ford ones were signing deals and cashing paychecks.

I'd like to have a SWB Jeep, but the only mountains close enough to play in are a bit on the steep side and have too many redwoods, and driving 6 to 24 hours to my play areas in an SWB isn't as interesting as it might have been 30-40 years ago. The GC is the best compromise I could find....although I have been wondering if I could tie down a small ATV in the back end [brain younger than body syndrome].

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Apparently they couldn't. Jeep incentives are different than Ford. There is only so much money to play with.

Not being an insider of the auto sales industry, you probably don't understand, but there are reasons for what happened to you other than your impression that they just didn't want to match the prices at the Ford dealership. It's not that they didn't want to, you know.

Reply to
Big Daddy

Approximately 8/17/03 20:11, Big Daddy uttered for posterity:

  1. Used vehicles.
  2. According to a cousin, the dealer pretty much sets pricing on used vehicles. Said cousin owns a pretty large dealership chain. Bummer, Chevvie, worse, no discount.
  3. One month after 9/11, there wasn't a lot of cars moving off *any* lot around here. Partly 9/11, partly dot.compost.
Reply to
Lon Stowell