996 handling problems? please help?

I have a 98 996 C2 coupe I find the front end is getting progressively worse handling wise this is not at slow speeds around corners but travelling say at 100mph on a motorway (UK) I seem to have to move the steering wheel just to keep it straight. Around long bends at this speed the car has never let me down but does not seem stable. The tyres are about 10k old with 4-5mm left on them

Anyone had similar problems? Can the rack be tightened?

Thanks in Advance

Reply to
Saxman

Could be a number of things. First thing to do is jack up each side of the front and check for movement. Grab the tire tire at sides (E-W) and top/bottom and see if there is any uncontrolled play. Could be: steering rack busings, ball joints or tie rod.

Or maybe the tires are worn, or low on pressure. (OK, check pressures first.)

Or you're driv> I have a 98 996 C2 coupe

Reply to
G Larson

what tyres are those ??

"G Larson" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó news:ckZVa.2778$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
jkk

LOL Thanks all I had the 4 wheel alignment checked at the toe was way out! drives sweet again now, altho they are crap in wind!

Sean

Reply to
Saxman