Adjusting the valves

Today when I went to start my 85.5 944 there was a loud tick tick tick coming from the top of the motor. It seemed to go away when the engine was above 2000, plus or minus, RPMs. My friend said it probably needed a valve job, can anyone shed light on this? What is wrong, what should I expect to pay & how much is it safe to drive it for?

Reply to
Subway Bargin Thursdays!

One correction...it almost sounded like a loud knocking, not a tick. I drove it the day before and it was A-OK, and just came out of the blue right away when I started the car up today.

Reply to
Subway Bargin Thursdays!

You have any teenaged kids?

I thought I saw your 944 doing burnouts behind the highschool last night ;-)

Chris

Reply to
C McFaul

Reply to
someone

first things first! have you checked the oil level? if it's not got enough (or the wrong grade oil) they will be starved of oil and tick.

all the 944 engine use hydraulic tappets (lifters) and so they constantly adjust themselves. there's no need (and indeed no way) for you to adjust them. moving to a thicker oil wouldn't help either (in fact it would make things a LOT WORSE). if they are blocked the best way to fix them is to replace them. they are reasonably inexpensive and not too difficult to change. if you don't mind using such things you could try a good engine flush to try to remove some of the sludge from your engine and increase oil circulation, this may bring them back to life.

the ticking noise you hear my also be an injector about to fail. injectors usually make a ticking noise all the time once they go, so it's failure may be immanant.

if the ticking noise only happens from cold and goes away after about

5 to 10 seconds or raising the rev's to about 2000 rpm, then it's most likely the hydralic tappets. if you don't mind this nose, then there's no reason to change them.

hth, jules '89 944 turbo se '83 924 lux

Reply to
Julian

snipped-for-privacy@truenames.co.uk (Julian) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I have (what sounds like) the same noise in my '89 944 (n/a), and it sounds identical to the Ford Cortina my dad used to have which was diagnosed as "the tappets rattling". It goes away on higher revs. The car is in for a full service ATM, so I might mention it.

Reply to
Dave Ryman