More 1978 924 questions (Electrical)

Well, while installing my master cylinder, I discovered the brake pressure sensors had oxidized to their connectors, causing the rear one to disintegrate as I unplugged it. So, as I wait for the new sensors to arrive, I tore into the center instrument panel.

The car had a drain on the battery with ignition off, at about 7.25 amps, so I suspected the clock had gone bad. I replaced all of the fuses with the proper ones, and unscrewed the console (battery disconnected of course). I found the harness had been...repaired. After about two hours of trying to match wires to the Haynes manual, I determined that someone had made a real mess. The volt meter was connected to a black and grey(?) wire. The clock was connected to two brown wires, a white wire soldered on to that.

The effect was that the volt meter came on when the ignition was off. The lights in the instrument panel did not work, neither does the light in the glove box. The clock did not appear to work either. The oil gauge does work. I finally decided the whole thing is a mess, and removed the panel, and the harness. After sorting through the mess, this is what I have.

  1. I have a single red wire, attached to the T6d connector. This is the clock power, according to all that I can see. The wire diagrams I have seem to indicate that this should be jumpered to the cigar lighter, then to the glove box. However, the cigar lighter comes from the direction of the glove box, and has two wires (red) crimped into the one male spade.

  1. I have a single black wire from the T6d. This feeds directly to the oil gauge with the blue and white, and brown wire into the proprietary connector.

  2. I have 2 black with red striped wires that I can not ID. One has power on with ignition, and the second could be brown and red, and appears to be ground.

  1. I have a number of broken lights cases, but this is secondary. I do not have any power on the grey and blue wire with the lights on.

  2. I have a switch on the left lower side of the panel, with a green indicator light. This is a three connector switch(SPDT?) marked + & -, with a broken light connector. I cannot figure out what wires go to this. I thought the black/brown and red ones did, but this blows the S8 fuse. I cannot find any reference to this switch in any documentation. It really looks OEM, but it wouldn't be the first time I was fooled.

As I read the flow diagram, the black wire on the oil gauge should feed the volt meter. The plug does not look disturbed however. I also have some user added wires I need to trace back and remove, the only one in this location is the white ground wire.

The brake failure light is working now that I corrected and replaced all the fuses, but the seatbelt light is not.

I hope I have given enough details.

Thanks, Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Is It insured? Then I suggest you burn it and buy a proper Porsche. I honestly think that the 924 was a big mistake by Porsche and has devalued the name.

It's rather like the Chav's that wear the copy Ralph Lauren shirts. My shirts are original but the brand has now been cheapened by the flood of this poor imitations.

So if all you can afford is a 924 or a poor mans Porsche then you really can't afford to buy one at all. Buy yourself an XR3I or whatever is the latest pleb motor to whizz round your council estate in.

Reply to
Honest John

Try Rennlist. Double bonus, no Honest Johns over there.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:16:13 GMT, "Honest John" wrote: Wow, you must enjoy reading your posts. I doubt anyone else does. Troll. don

Reply to
windz1