Motronic, G50 or just an SC ?

I'm shopping for a used 911. While I'd likely be happy to find an SC in great condition, I'm wondering how strongly I should consider model years with Motronic fuel injection, and even a G50 tranny and hydraulic clutch. I'm not looking to spend less up front on something that needs a lot of TLC. But while I'd consider spending more for these upgrades if I can justify it in my mind, spending a little less on an SC is of course appealing as well. Thanks for any input.

Reply to
gregfocker

The best of the air cooled cars...other than the late model 993's (1996-98) are the 1987-1989 Carreras. They have the updated transmission (with hydraulic assist), plus the updated interior with better A/C. All these years are virtually alike, except for the 1989 Carrera 4...which is actually the 964 engine and chassis...which was introduced in Europe that year, but became available in all models in 1990 in the U.S.

The '87's-89's run great...and have the classic body style. I owned an '88 Cabriolet and loved it, but couldn't use it as an every day car...since it only had 25,000 orig miles...and I would have destroyed the value in the car. But...it drove great! The Motronic system is far, far superior to the old CIS in the SC models.

Good luck...hope this helps some.

Reply to
Weekend Guru

^ ^ Thanks for the reply. Yes, very helpful. I'm leaning towards the

3.2 Carrera - '84 thru '89.
Reply to
gregfocker

You might want to focus on the G50 in that group for it's superiority to the 915. The 3.2 also tended to need valve guide attention in high milers.

The SCs are just a simpler, less fast, less expensive model that won't clean your wallet out. Fine cars and _very_ reliable for many miles.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator