Oil Change question?

Hi all. I have a 97 C2 tip. How often do I need to change oil? I don't do much driving, less than 3000 miles a year. The dealer told me even it is just sitting in the garage, I need to change oil twice a year, is that correct? Thanks.

Reply to
Tim

"Tim" wrote

I would think that once a year is enough, especially if it has synthetic in it.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I agree that once a year should do it. The local dealer here tells me that once a year should be fine for such low miles.

BTW, I was at the dealership today. Test drove a 996 cab. It was a lot of fun. It seemed so quiet and smooth compared to a 964. It was almost relaxing actually.

I've been thinking about trading to a 993 turbo, but they let me have the 996 for a few hours to convince me that a 993 is just too unrefined. I'm still ruminating on whether it worked or not.

Reply to
rory911

I have a 93 964, and wanted to get a 993 C4S, then I was thinking of a 996 Turbo, a local dealer is discounting a pair of new 03 Turbos by 20k. I read in a recent Excellence a review of Turbos, and it said the best turbo to get is a

97 993 Turbo S.

Ala> > "Tim" wrote

Reply to
Alain

Thanks for the feedback. BTW, I saw that Porsche is making a Turbo Cab again. They had one on the floor and I was told that it sold immediately. . .

. . . it wasn't the right color for me anyway.

Reply to
rory911

Doesn't the manual call for at least an oil/filter change once a year?

If you choose to follow that schedule, I'd change the oil just before the slow driving season sets in so there are less contaminates in the oil to work their evils on the engine.

BTW, you might want to check the tranny oil too. I read an article just today about using the 'paper towel' test.

Clean paper towel. Drop a couple of drops of tranny oil onto the paper towel. Then drop a couple of drops of clean (from the bottle) tranny oil onto the paper towel.

As long as the tranny oil, from the transmission, drops spread out to very nearly the same size and have nearly the same color as the new transmission oil, the transmission oil doesn't need to be changed.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Tim wrote:

Reply to