Oxidized paint got'cha down?

I am as happy as a kid at Christmas.

Thanks to my friend and some "Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and scratch remover", my '89 944's paint has a new lease on life!

I was truly shocked at the results. My friend (who used to detail cars), hand buffed my headlamp covers and wheel well arches back to "Wet paint" status. My car has never looked better. I have noticed many more heads turning already!

After a 2 hour washing session (I prefer Meguiar's Carwash), my friend buffed the oxidized paint right off in less then an hour. He informed me that it is very important to do a little at a time, and by hand (since the compound is an abrasive). Once that was done, I used a recently purchased electric Orbital Buffer and application pad to apply the wax. (Mothers California Gold Carnauba). After letting the wax dry for a half hour, we hand buffed the car. Then we used the electric buffer for the final shinning. I am simply ecstatic with the results. I was thinking that a new paint job was the only cure for the fading paint. Thankfully I was wrong.

I purchased everything at Wal-Mart (Except the wax)

Meguiar's Carwash $10 Mothers Carnauba Wax $8 TurtleWax Polishing Compound $2 Orbital Buffer $20 Cellulose Sponges $1 Lint free applicator pads $2 Terry cloth towels $3

---------------------------- Wet paint look = $46 and three hours x 2 workers

S**T eating grin created as a result = $ priceless

Next I need to fill in rock chips.. any one have suggestions on what to use for touch-up paint? I understand the original 944 touch up paint is no longer available.

Good luck!

-Rhad Davis '89 944 2.7l n/a

Reply to
Rhadamanthus

Take your paint code to any automotive paint supplier and they should be = able to mix some up for you. An alternative would be to remove the cover = to the gas cap and take it to them so they can match it. They can even = put it in an aerosol can for you. Prices vary but around $30-$50 US for =

12 oz. can.

--=20 Jack

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.

Yep a mild compound or better yet mirror "Glaze" will take off a micron of clearcoat or paint and make your car look as good as it is ever going to look. It's a pain to put on and take off but if you have the time and stamina, it's the best way to go.

Chris

73 911 E
Reply to
C McFaul

You're Welcome. ;)

--=20 Jack

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.

Any good shop can mix the color for your car. There is a color code on your car either on the left lock pillar or under the hood stamped on the Rt fender. I recommend you find a shop using Glasurit paint, because they will have the closest formula. BTW - what color is it?

For filling in rock chips - use a broken toothpick and let the paint flow into the void. When the void is full let it sit for about 2 weeks and then come back with some ultrafine wet paper and a flat block. Sand the surface of the touch up area to knock it down (be very careful if you burn the clearcoat - you are screwed) smooth. Then hit that area with a compound to bring back the shine. This is not really DIY stuff - Any moron can pick up a buffer and spin it over a car, and completely destroy the finish. Pick a small area out of the way and work on that first. I used to get panels from shops and practice on those. It is an art. Anyway you asked. Good luck.

Reply to
Twise

I'll second that. Emanuel pointed me to them last year when my car got hit by an unknown assailant. The bumper color looks exactly the same. For jobs larger than a rock ding, you must use clearcoat to finish the process.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator