Black Paint - Wax Recommendations? Carnauba gets oily in sun! :(

Tried using Carnauba wax (Meguiar's High Tech Yellow Wax 26 to be exact) on my black paint. Looked great in the garage and on the overcast days...

Now after a few days in direct sunlight, the wax has clearly "melted" and gone all oily and cloudy. Guess Carnauba can't stand up to direct sunlight all that great on a black paint job.

What wax recommendations do you folks have for dark paint such as mine that will maintain a long lasting shine and stand up direct sunlight?

Advice is appreciated.

Reply to
Somebody Somewhere in the Universe

I have a "True Blue" 2003 Mustang and a 1969 Jaguar XKE that's British racing green. I use Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax on both, and I like it very much. As I'm in So. California they get a lot of sun, and the wax job seems to stand up. I have no idea how this stuff works in a wet climate or if you live near the ocean. I did notice that squished insects now wash off much more easily.

Reply to
Scudder

Yeah if I can get access to a digital camera before I re-do the car, I'll take some shots.

Water still beads on the hood, but the wax has the same appearance as if someone had sprayed a light misting of oil on it. It's just greasy and cloudy looking.

Reply to
Somebody Somewhere in the Universe

I'm in Canada... moderate climate, ocean is thousands of miles away though.

Any idea if the Gold Class Wax contains natural wax (ie. carnauba) or is it based on polymers?

I've been thinking I might have to go the polymer route since the temperature threshold for the wax is much higher than carnauba.

Reply to
Somebody Somewhere in the Universe

According to Guru Reports the Zaino will give you the best and longest lasting shine. I bought some for my black GT a few weeks ago but because of all of the rain we have had for the last three weeks haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Dennis

I've heard other folks here say Zaino looks great, but it doesn't last. One poster said he applied 7 coats and it didn't even last the winter. (Don't know where he lived, though). I've personally never tried it, though. If it truly hides the spiderwebs, I'd seriously consider giving it a shot.

Reply to
Ken and Amy Andrews

While stumbling around on the web I found a detailing site for BMW enthusiasts, part of the roadfly group. If you look at this message board in the link below you will be able to find answers from a lot of detailing experts (many of the posters there do it for a living) for just about anything to do with making a cars interior or exterior look good. I was on there for three hours the first time I found it and am amazed at the amount of information there.

Dennis

This website gives good advice on washing car and preventing. Some wax will cloud (shades of darker area) up on black cars. Check this site out. It sells and gives good advice on protecting your paint finish! =)

Sammy

225TT Previous 98GT Owner
Reply to
Sammy

Zaino works very, very well, and it does last pretty well. The trick is using the gloss-enhancer after you wash...it adds sooo much shine, and it keeps the wax there.

If you're looking for something different, Zymol makes a wax specifically for darker colored cars. I've heard good things, but i've never tried it...it's a bit too expensive, imho.

Otherwise, good ole Meguiar's gold class liquid wax will never do ya wrong! ;-) Looks great on black.

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

While were on the subject, has anyone come across any worthwhile vert top conditioners/protectants. My vert is now on its 4th top ( thanks to theat damn tree falling on it) and it looks great!..But I want it to look great in 2 years..

Reply to
Matt

I was thinking about your post. I use Meguiars Gold Class on my cars. On the white, nothing shows, barely even a good wax job, but on my 95, which was Laser Red, everything showed.

I discovered that after waxing if I simply hosed the car with clear water, and then dryed it off with a Water Sprite synthetic chamiose, it not only eliminated the blurries, it prevented that nasty static cling you get from fresh wax.

On another note, I used to have a boss that had us wax his race car every time he was going to the track. He said a fresh coat of was was good for another 3mph! LOL

Kate

| |

Reply to
SVTKate