Porsche 996, Insurance Rates?

Hi,

I own a 2002 Porsche 996 Turbo. I'm 31 years old and have never had a ticket or accident. AAA is my insurance carrier. They provide:

Liability $500k Bodily Injury $100k Property Damage

Physical Damage $500k Comprehensive $500k Collision

My yearly premium is $3,418.

Does this sound totally unreasonable to you? A friend told me that I could save a significant amount of money by switching insurance carriers. Of course I plan to research this myself, but in the meantime I'd be interested in your feedback. If you have a similar car and coverage, I'd be interested in knowing what you're paying. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Nick Stokes Las Vegas Crime Lab

Reply to
Nick Stokes, CSI

We have a 2002 Carrera coupe, no tickets or accidents, $500K bodily injury and property, $300K comprehensive and collision, a $1000 deductible (mandatory for the car) and pay $713 annually.

We get multi car discounts and also have our home and other insurance with the same company. The individual premiums for our 2001 Acura MDX and 2003 Honda Civic Si (same covergaes, $500 deductibles) are both higher than the Carrera (based, I guess, on 6000 and 10000 mile annual estimates respectively).

Your costs for collision and comprehensive will certainly reflect the car's higher value, but even with the extra performance of the turbo I would think you could probably find cheaper coverage for the same limits based on what we pay......

P.S. Love the show.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

We have a 2002 Carrera Coupe and pay $713 annually for $500K bodily injury and property damage, $300K comprehensive and collision. There is a mandatory $1000 deductible on the car, and its annual estimated mileage is 4000 (she's our Sunday driver).

Our house and other insurance coverages are with the same company. The individual premiums for our 2001 Acura MDX and 2003 Honda Civic Si are each higher than the Porsche, based on annual mileage estimates of 6000 and 10000 respectively. The Honda is actually most expensive, so the mileage driven has something to do with it.

Your cost will obviously take a hit because of the higher value of the Turbo 996 vs. our normally aspirated model, but I would think you could do better than what you're paying right now.......

P.S. Love the show.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

I have about the same coverage and a few BIG tickets on my record an pay only a little bit more than you with Progressive. I'd suggest you check out other avenues of insurance.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew