Re: Which Porsche for around 40k?

You should be able to afford a low mileage 993 (911) or a higher mileage 996 (1999-2001) or any Boxster or Boxster-S. If you go Boxster, you want 2000+, when they offered the 2.7L engine in the base model and 3.2L in the S. You have enough $$ to go for the S, which is definitely the way to go, as it's not only got more engine, but more standard equipment. Much more fun to drive also.

Depends on how much car you want and how and when you plan to drive it. Boxsters are "roadsters", and are going to be noisier than 911's. If you must have a "rag top", then a 993 Cabriolet or even a 1999 996 Cab might fit your budget.

Whatever you go for...a prepurchase inspection is a necessity, as buying the wrong pre-owned Porsche can result in a remake of that old movie, "The Money Pit".

Good luck...

Looking around to see whats on offer for around US40k. > > I was looking towards the Boxster or maybe something else, has to be an auto > I'm afraid.. Which boxster version is the most reliable or are all as good > as I heard that the older porsche leaked engine oil. > > Any comments much appreicated. > > Jim > >
Reply to
Weekend Guru

The best Porsches you can get in automatic for that money is the last incarnations of the 928, like the S4 or GT. For something smaller and sportier, I'd recommend a 968 cab. Either one will leave you with plenty of money left over for maintenance, insurance, or repairs, even after buying excellent examples. If you're determined to get a Boxster or 911, the Boxster engine problems were over by 1999 but for that money an early S with more hp is better bang for the buck and a safer bet. For the 911, a 993 is a good value *and* will hold it's value better than a 996. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

if you buy a boxster, you might as well buy a 924 because they are really NOT in the game . get a REAL porsche , get a 911 . if you don't , you'll always wish you did . woody,

911 tt
Reply to
woody

Here we go again...

Reply to
Devils944S2

OBVIOUSLY , you don't have a 911 !!!!!! if you really own a porsche , it' DEFINITELY a

924 . FUCK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to
woody

Reply to
Devils944S2

Judging from your ignorant posts, I would say you definitely don't own ANY Porsche.

Reply to
Devils944S2

You must drive a Mustang, yes?

Bernard

1984 928s yes, it's real.
Reply to
Bernard Farquart

I'm amazed that Porsche has stayed in business as long as they have. Depending on who you talk to, they haven't made an "real" Porsche in thirty or forty years. The 356 is accused of being a "souped-up VW bug." The 356 folks said the 911 wasn't real because of the 6-cylinder engine. The 924/944/968/928/986/996 aren't real Porsches because they're water-cooled or front-engined or both. The Cayenne and 914 are re-badged VWs. Apparently it's a big conspiracy and there's nothing in Stuttgart but an empty airplane hangar and a mail drop-box. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

LOL! I hear ya. I ahve to admit, I kinda bought into the snobbishness for a while - and I still believe that the finest (road) car Porsche ever made is a dead heat between the '73 911 RSR, the 550 Spyder, and the 904 (none of which I have ever driven, for obvious reasons) but after buying a 944 for a beater/daily commuter, that little car has won my respect. Sure, it looks like hell (probably didn't when it came from the factory, so it's not exactly Porsche's fault) and makes a few odd noises (ditto) but it sticks to the road like hot bubblegum to the sole of your shoe and if it doesn't make the classic flatmotor noises, so what? it's still a hell of a car and I am proud to have it in my driveway. Anyone who turns their nose up at *any* Porsche is either a gold-chainer or just has waaaaaaay too much money.

That said, I can't help the OP with his decision at all, but I do have a friend who probably could have bought any car he wanted and he got one of the first Boxter S and claims he is completely uninterested in selling it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel
911!
Reply to
Devils944S2

For me: G50 911 cab

968 coupe 72 911T targa 928GTS RUF Boxster TT

Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Reply to
Jim Keenan

I've got everything I want in a Porsche in my '67 912 Targa.

The look for a 911, a top that comes off and a zip out rear window, a

356 based engine for economy and power, a 5 speed and disc brakes.

No, it's on the fastest, but it's fun, economical, and I grin every time I slide into the seat and grab the wheel.

So what if the paint isn't perfect? Leave the shining and polishing to the shiners and polishers.

I like to drive what I have.

Total cost? Mit new engine, under $20k.

Reply to
bmwloco

Gotta disagree here....The 97 Boxster was one of the best made...I had one and traded it in for a 996, but that little car moved....Stock it had different gearing than the 2.7 that came later, was lighter AND FASTER. Lookup the numbers...The 0-60 for the 97 2.5 is faster than the

2000 2.7. In the mountains, a Boxster S could not pull away from me, and many a Boxster S owner would ask...."Is that thing supercharged?". ...Nope, just a Techart exhaust that may have actually robbed me of a few HP....Those cars are DIRT cheap right now, under 20K and all bugs have been worked out. Not many 97 engine failures, many more in 98-02 in the 2.7 and the 3.2's in those years....And if you want a real screamer for 10K you can drop a 3.4L in it and blow the doors off of just about any 993 or 996. 300+ HP in that small light chassis is one of the best cars Porsche never made...Although Ruf did, and they said it was the best car they ever made, that's saying alot...In fact in this new Excellence magazine, they compare the new Boxster 550SE which is a Boxster S with a few extra HP to a standard 2.5L Boxster and they actually concluded the 2.5 was more fun to drive, and the performance difference not worth the extra money. The different gearing makes it more driveable and keeps it in the powerband which helps it's performance.

JR

Reply to
JR

[snip]

I think very highly of the Boxster chassis and think it would supercede the 911 if Porsche didn't hold it back to protect the icon. One of my dream projects would indeed be to swap the 996 engine into one - everyone raves about them. Still, replacing the engine's the only way I'd own one - the teething problems are well documented and, as a recent letter in one of the Porsche mags points out, BMW handled their Nikasil/cylinder liner issues much better than Porsche is handling the 2.5 issues. With

40k to play with, it's not worth the risk... Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown