Roadster Choice

I didn't say ultimate roadster, (that would be Carrera GT of course). I said 968 Cab is better all around choice then Boxster, and I gave my reasons. A 996 Cab has obvious performance advantage, but at too high a price for most of us mere mortals.

Low mileage, good condition 968 Cab's are now priced at over $25,000 (see

They only ever made total of 12,776 968's, there were only 2248 Cabs sold in US. They will retain value better then Boxsters, 911, 993 or 996's. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

You're dreaming if you think the 968 cab will hold it's value better than any member of the 911 family. I agree that they're great cars, but they simply aren't as sought after as the above. Rare means nothing without desirability, and there aren't many people looking for

968s of any variant. It *might* beat the 986, and even that's iffy. The 911 remains the iconic Porsche and the 911 and 993 variations are what represents the best of those to a few generations worth of buyers. Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown

Agreed wholeheartedly. The 968 is a cult car and a Porsche for people who want something modern with the Porsche name on it but can't pony up the 911 bucks. The 968, as the 924, 944 and 928 before it, is cursed with having its motor in the wrong place (the water pumper tag matters a whole heck of alot less these days) and will never command the desirability or value that any of the 911 variants will hold. In the long term, will it be more desirable than a 986? maybe, if only because Porsche made a ton of Boxsters, but as a former 928 S4 owner, let me tell you, rarity means nothing with relation to retaining value.

Reply to
Sam Hain

1991 to 1995 in North America, but the run in Europe may have been longer. The European market also recieved Clubsport and Turbo variants, with the Turbo capable of 0-60 in the low 4s and a 175MPH top speed. Porsche built a track-only Turbo RS version but I've never actually seen one race, and have no idea where/when they were run, if at all.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Early SCs seem to go pretty cheap, as do early Carreras. A low mileage 968, especially in Cabriolet trim might be worth more than those. The 968 is also far easier to drive hard than a 911, thanks to 50/50 weight distribution and a decent helping of power.

It wouldn't. The non-Turbo 968 would do 0-60 in around 6.5 seconds. It's certainly not slow, but a base Boxster will do the same pull in 6.1, and C&D got 5.3 from a Boxster S *before* the 8Hp hike. But we should keep in mind the fact that the 968 is powered by a 4 cylinder, and the product of a late

80s/early 90s development.

Certainly in terms of image.

The 993 is only the "pinnacle" of 911s if you demand only air-cooled variants. The revised 996 with Turbo lamps and the 320Hp engine is one of the best sports car on earth-period. With the capability to run 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and the typically awesome Porsche brakes, it's a damn fun car. The only major downside-and this befalls all 911s-is the typically high learning curve associated with driving it. Despite years if development and the best chassis/suspension combo ever offered in a non-turbo, non-track derived (i.e. GT2/GT3) 911, the rear weight bias is always there waiting for an unwitting, untrained driver.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Or for those who would rather have an autocross/canyon champion. The 911 is simply to hard for most untrained drivers to go fast in, and the 968 benefits from 50/50 weight distribution.

This only holds true here in North America where the standard coupe and cabrio were the only versions avaliable. The Clubsport, Turbo and Turbo RS variants sold in Europe command much higher prices than we're used to here.

Maybe, this is logical. However, the Boxster has had a huge presence because of the number produced, and it's prominent in people's minds. The 968 is, as you said, rather obscure by comparison.

Funny, the 88-95 928s seem to have held value quite well. They're always selling way above where I think they should when I find one for sale, and I've never seen one go unsold.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Steve, we aren't talking about performance specs, driveability, or auto-x; I think both of us will concede the 968 is superior to most

911s in that area. We're talking about market depreciation and collectability. The 968 is worth more than 911SC and 915-tranny Carrera, true, but it's also about a decade younger than these cars. The 968 will continue depreciating, while low-mileage 911s have pretty much bottomed-out and are starting to climb.

I agree that the 996 outperforms the 993, all new iterations of 911 have beaten their ancestors. But the used market is driven in part by enthusiasts and collectors, and they've made it clear they like the

993 more than the 996 - asking prices for the older car are higher than 996s in some cases. With the arrival of the 997 and it's new styling, I think we'll see a dip in values for the 996 while the 993 continues to hold up. It will be quite a performance bargain for those people that aren't hung-up on 911s being air-cooled, but that won't keep prices up. Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown

Whoa whoa, what's a 997? And where do you guys go to get all this info??

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

997 is the replacement for the 996, due out later this year. Magazines have been writing about it for months now, mostly in Europe and the UK. I recommend stopping by Borders and checking CAR, EVO, 911 & Porsche World, GT Purely Porsche or Autocar. Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown

I think if you follow auto history you will find Japanese Auto manufacturers have an insatiable appetite for "copying" others designs. You know an Infiniti that looks like a Mercedes, a Datsun that once emulated a Mustang fastback. Certainly the MR2's hood is a snatch of the early long hood 911/912's. I just put a deposit down on the upcoming Pontiac Solstice. Looks terrific for $19,995. The Pontiac folks at the Detroit were "really excited" with preliminary testing of an American 2 seat roadster. I think Silver with a red interior just about ought to do it.

Reply to
D.B. Cooper

Take a look at the upcoming Pontiac Solstice! I just put a deposit down to be in the first order group. $19,995 for a 170hp 2 seat American roadster. It had the Pontiac folks excited at the Detroit Auto Show. They were raving about early performance testing.

Reply to
D.B. Cooper

That car may very well revive not only Pontiac, but GM in general. The "new" GTO is a definite step up in quality from previous Pontiacs, but the Solstice really looks great and the Epislon platform could be great for GM. I'm really excited to see them hit the sreets and I'm anxious to see how it compares in real-world driving tests aganist Mazda's Mazdaspeed Miata. However, I'm waiting on baited breath for a production version of the Golf V based "Boxster Beater" VW is working on.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Oh yea. The 240Z and 1st Gen. RX-7 were really little more than Asian clones of the Porsche 924. Although the RX-7 did have the uniqueness of the Wankel going for it. And the current MR-S looks like an inexpensive Boxster in Toyota clothes. But the RX-8 and G35 (moreso the RX-8) have some genuine originality in them as far as the exterior styling is concerned, IMHO.

I wish that Porsche would reincarnate the 914. A 2,500 pound targa topped

2-seater with the Boxsters old 2.5 litre flat 6 making 200-210 horsepower would be incredible. If only they could make it and offer it up for around $41k, Porsche would have a real Elise competitor. But the Boxster is in need of updating and while Porsche continues to be my all time favorite automaker, and I still envy 911 owners, there are some things that I think need work elsewhere as well.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

I saw the Solstice a year ago as a concept at the Chicago Auto Show and really liked it, but at the time it was just a shell with no engine and the people working the booth had no idea what GM was going to put in it. Is this going to be a 4-cylinder? Any idea what the car weighs? Have you seen the UK version, the Vauxhall Lightning? An Elise competitor over there, but too angular for my tastes. It's getting the same powerplant, though. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

"D.B. Cooper" spake unto the masses in news:qaJgc.289$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

You're thinking of the '75-'78 Celica. The '74 and earlier resembled a Dodge Challenger.

The Toyota 2000GT and Datsun 240Z evoked the Ferrari GTO.

What?? Only on your planet. I don't see the resemblance at all.

Reply to
Tegger®

I believe your thinking of the VX220 of which there is also an Opel variant. That car is built on a different platform if memory serves me. The Solstice is built on the new Epislon platform (which is to be shared with Saab and I believe also underpins the new Chevrolet Cobalt), and I believe is FE-RWD, not mid-engined.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Don't forget that cool copy of a triumph that Datsun made in the late 60's and called an 1800, and a 2000. That, in my opinion, was one of the best knock-offs ever, cause it was actually an improvement, from a reliability standpoint.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

There's one rolling around here near my house, cool car. But it's hard to say if I like it or the restored Karmann Ghia that lives next to my aunt better. I don't see many of either, but the Datsun is the less common of the two.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

"Bernard Farquart" spake unto the masses in news:qq3hc.23473$G snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Wasn't that the original Fairlady? It was superseded by the 240Z.

Believe it or not, the 240Z was originally called the Fairlady for the US market, as it was elsewhere.

Nissan ignored the warnings of Yutaka Katayama, the engineer in charge of the US market, who wanted the Fairlady badges left off at the factory. He thought Americans (and Canadians) would see the name as being effeminate, which was not the image he wanted for his car.

The very first 240Zs in America had their Fairlady badges removed at the dock by Katayama before being released to the dealers.

What might have been, eh?

Reply to
Tegger®

The convertible was called the Fairlady in Japan and (I think) Europe, but just had the umber designation over here. Rare in the US. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown