Shaving Competition Tires?

I am buying my first set of competition tires. I understand the heat cycling thing but not the shaving aspect.

What does "shaving" a tire do.

Many Thanks

Chris

73 911 E
Reply to
C McFaul

As you corner, the tread deforms and in the case of the front tires, causes the car to steer on a different line than you are pointing it. To inexperienced people, you get the feeling that the car is sliding or drifting off line. It is actually the tires changing your direction. To eliminate this, you reduce the tread height to a level where it tends not to roll over. Big chunky tread designs shaved to 3/32 of an inch is what most people use. I have no idea what kind of competion you are planning but in most, they inspect the tread depth and will disqualify you if it is too shallow. Another caution is that there are cheaters in every level of competion and some one will always find a set of tires that have been recapped with butyl that provides about

6X street rubber traction.

(if you want to know the name of the guy in Norfolk, VA, that does the butyl recapping, don't contact me)

Reply to
Bill