to replace the fuel pump or not...

Had my 86 na towed in Monday with a no start. I just got off the phone with the shop and they bridged the fuel pump replay, car still didn't start. They couldn't hear the fuel pump running so the mechanic tried tapping on the fuel tank with a rubber mallet and the car fired right up and has been running fine since. So the question to me was do you want to replace the fuel pump or not? He quoted me around $500 parts and labor. Is this a totally ridiculous price, and should I replace the fuel pump now so this doesn't happen to me again or is it likely tapping on the tank with a mallet fixed whatever problem there was?

Reply to
Yaker

yes, replace it....takes about a hour with common homeowner tools....if you check around that pump can be purchsed for about $150us!

regards

Yaker wrote:

Reply to
euro930

Sounds to me like you'll need to select an option:

  1. Pay the money and fix it. Permanent fix.

  1. Pay less money and do it yerself. Permanent fix (skills dependent).

  2. Pay even less for a rubber mallet and carry it around with you. That outta work for a while, but might prove embarrassing at times.

"Hang on while I get her started!"

DS

Reply to
The Dead Senator

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

LOL - that brings back memories:

  1. my 61 corvair - if you ever put it in 4th, you had to pull the side off the trans and tap the synchro pins back in place to get it back out - made it kinda theft proof, if there was a thief with bad enough judgement to steal a 61 corvair

  1. my 56 356A that I drove for about a year with no starter motor - just push to start....

If you are a real klutz, pay the $ and have it done, otherwise, run the tank near empty and change yourself - $500 seems high, but if the guy does it right and doesn't hassle you, maybe it's worth it - after all, paying $300 twice is more expensive....

snip--------- d should I replace the fuel pump now so this

Reply to
William Noble

I drove my 66 bug around for about 6 months or more with no reverse gear. Pretty inconvenient at times when I hadda push her backwards uphill when someone parked in front of me or I forgot about it when I parked. This was back then I was just learning about cars. When I realised it was a $30 part and easy to replace, I laughingly kicked myself pretty good. Love those bugs, though.

Reply to
The Dead Senator