"Training" boxster plastic glass to not pinch?

Hi I have a '02 Boxster and love it. Except that the plastic rear window pinched when I shut it. Which means I feel obliged to get out and push it down early in theo closure, totally defeating the purpose of an in-car top putter-downer. Does anyone know of a way to 'train' this thing to behave properly? I suppose when it's hot in the summer it'll be softer and perhaps I can leave the top down over night, maybe? Would that do it? Any other advice?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

From what I've read, it's an issue year round. When I was thinking of getting one, I planned on swapping to a top with a glass window; there are aftermarket versions available. epbrown

--

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to

Happens all the time. On my 2000 Boxster, I rarely do it anymore, because it has been "trained". But, I still get out of the car and do the "Chop" when it is a bit colder out, maybe 60-80 degrees. Any warmer then that, I'm usually OK.

You can certa> Hi I have a '02 Boxster and love it. Except that the plastic rear

Reply to
bltst2

How is that possible when the 'hole' for the plastic window needs to split? Are you referring to replacing the whole top?

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

Glad to hear of your training. Especially on the hottest days here in Texas the plastic is especially soft so even if there is some creasing it rights itself smoothly and doesn't sit like that.

My plastic window is a sewn-on replacement, and it doesn't 'fog up' like the original window. This is good. Maybe it'll survive better.

I have heard about putting a towel in the crease. Anyone know how thick it should be?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

Yep - there are places that advertise top replacements for the early model Boxsters, and the replacements have glass windows. Sorry if I was unclear - I meant swapping to a new top, not just the window. epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

Well I may have to look into that one day - eventually my current plastic window will fail. I so love my car. I just got back from two weeks in New Zealand driving a tiny Diahatsu Sirion... driving my car again was like being in a rocket ship.

Reply to
Dan Stephenson