07 Prius Break Noise

I just bought an 07 Prius and didnt notice any odd noise until about 1000 miles. The noise I am noticing is what sounds like a break pump or equivilant coming from the engine compartment. At a stop or shortly after almost every stop this sound kicks in for about 3 seconds. I took it to a Toyota dealer and the tech said it was normal. Does anyone else have this sound. I am trying to recall if I just didnt hear it the first 1000 miles due to getting use to all of the features that this car has. Also I may have had the radio on a bit louder in the begining too.

Reply to
xlntmike

What is a break pump? I do my own maintenance on my Prius and have never heard of this thing.

Reply to
Bill

I think he means brake, not break.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I am sorry, I did mean brake, not break. When I press the brake peddle is when I hear this pump sound. is that normal?

Reply to
xlntmike

The car is quieter in warmer times than colder times but still quieter overall. I'm sure you can hear the engine more now that the climate has turned cold. I sometimes hear what sounds like a mechanical soft sounding whine (as if a door was closing under the hood) and just chaulk it up to the computer adjusting some sort of linkage. The only time I hear what you describe as a pump sound is when I've started the car and threw in into gear way too fast. There's a slight shuddering and then again when I stop. It may have something to do with the computer thinking the engine didn't fire correctly at start up. It could be something normal but hard to explain so they just tell you it's OK, it's normal. Don't lose any sleep over it. You're covered :) I'm having a slight problem with the front driver side tire "singing" at high speed since having a rotation. The front end is pulling to the left a bit and the mechanic said it's called bias pull, from not rotating the tires soon enough. According to their records, yeah, it's been awhile but in fact they have been rotated but by my other mechanic. Supposedly it'll work itself out. They offered to swop the left and right front tires. Up to now the car tracked in my opinion perfectly.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

Thanks for the heads up. I guess the noise that I hear is almost every time I take my foot off the brake peddle. It almost sounds like if there was an electric pump kicking in to pressurize something.

Reply to
xlntmike

Thanks for the heads up. I guess the noise that I hear is almost every time I take my foot off the brake peddle. It almost sounds like if there was an electric pump kicking in to pressurize something.

Reply to
xlntmike

It's also "pedal," not "peddle." The latter means to sell.

Reply to
Road Man