2004 Prius Longevity

I own a 2004 Prius, fully loaded. I am up to 59,000 miles now with flawless performance. I use dealer service and do the full schedule of maintanence.

Does anyone have more miles and have you seen problems start to occur? Just wanted to know so I have an idea when I would have to buy a new Prius. There is no other hybrid I would own at this time.

Reply to
Kim Rogoff

I have about 43,000 miles on my 2004. The only major problem that I've encountered was a failed multifunction display unit (data fields were blank, no navigation, no climate control controls). It died after the car was out of waranty. The unit costs $4,600 but a call to the Toyota 800 number resulted in Toyota paying for the part and me paying $190 for labor to replace it. My unit was one of the old style ones and there is a service bulletin out on it, although no recall. If your INFO button does not toggle your screen between the "Consumption" and the "Energy" screens, you have the old style unit and may someday experience the problem. I understand that there is no issue with the newer units.

Kari

Reply to
kari

Can't speak for the 2K4 version, but I do have a 2002 with about 100K miles on it and have had no problems other than the expected tire replacements. In fact, it has the original brakes and is showing no signs of slowing down. Consistently gets 45MPG with mostly highway driving. I recently bought a 2K6 for myself and my wife is now driving the 2K2 and loves it.

kari wrote:

Reply to
PriusGeek

We have some fleet reports from the Dept. of Energy and Canada that show the earlier model, the NHW11, is good for in excess of 160,000 miles. About your vehicle, the only problem is it is the first year of a new model. There are a number of problems found in that model that were corrected in subsquent years.

Check Ebay and you'll find enough to satisfy. My NHW11 has 64,000 miles of which I put 15,000 on it. I'm getting better than 51 MPG.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson