Considering a Prius....But Still Have Questions

I'm considering purchasing a Prius to replace my 2001 Subaru Forester. I'm considering a "fully-loaded" model (ie - Option Combo #6). Although I haven't gone for a test drive yet, I've been reading through websites and this newsgroup, and can't find answers to a few questions:

  1. What effect, if any, do all of the accessories in a "fully-loaded" model such as this have on the batteries/performance/fuel mileage, etc?

  1. Summers get pretty hot around here (Central Virginia). How is the AC in the Prius, particularly when driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic? (In other words, during periods of running almost exclusively under electrical power).

  2. How is the interior's road/wind noise at highway speed?

  1. I have satellite radio in my Forester and would like to have it installed in the Prius (by a 3rd party if Toyota doesn't offer it). Is that feasible or does the hybrid technology (and its associated wiring) present problems in doing this?

Thanks!

Reply to
BRH

Little, if any.

I'm in the Phoenix area; it's much hotter here than there, although our humidity is much lower. The AC works great, even if bumper to bumper traffic. If the battery starts getting drained, the engine kicks in to recharge it.

About as good as my 2001 Acura TL was.

You can get XM radio, fully integrated into the audio system, from coastaletech.com and at least one other place; it's actually a Toyota OEM part that they offer for the Lexus and possibly other models of Toyota. If you want to transfer your existing satellite radio, that can be done too, but it won't be integrated.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Let me add for the satellite radio, it's also available from Priusxm.com

I had a Sirius starbase installed below the display screen in the little compartment. So I have an integrated XM and an FM Modulated Sirius unit. (I spend a lot of time in the car). As for the A/C, bumper-to-bumper traffic, does cause the hybrid battery to run down in about 20 minutes. At that time, the gas engine kicks on.

The optimal temperature for gas mileage is 60-70. When it hits the 80-100 range, the A/C runs more frequently. I average about 45mpg during my daily commute. My record was 49mpg going 74mph back from FL. Although these figures are not near the EPA's, they are far better than anything else out there with realistic driving conditions. BTW, I have a "lead foot" and higher speeds (over 55) do adversly affect gas mileage.

Reply to
Jonathan Kaplan

Thanks for the response(s).

Hmmm....I currently have Sirius satllite radio and would prefer to stay with it. Is there any way to have Sirius integrated into the stereo set-up?

Reply to
BRH

I've go just of 5000 miles on my 2005 Level 6. My worst mileage on a tank of gas was slightly above 47. My best mileage on a tank was slightly above

  1. These tanks include highway and city miles over a temperature range from -15F last February to +90F on the last tank. I always drive the speed limit (55 in MN on two-lane roads) and when I do drive on the interstate (70 in MN) I usually drive between 55 and 60.
Reply to
Staff

Both Coastaletech

and
are coming out with integrated Sirius kits. They too use the Toyota Sirius tuner units, with custom made cables for the Prius.

Reply to
Jonathan Kaplan

is currently selling Sirius kits for thePrius. I am planning on getting one before the end of the year myself.

Reply to
Michael Locatelli