Prius battery?

I'm curious about the Prius battery.

It's not a lead-acid type is it? Otherwise it wouldn't last as long as it does?

What kind do they use? Lithium Ion or something?

Reply to
Moon Goddess

Double AA's

Reply to
GoMavs

there is the info space case

Reply to
GoMavs

Pretty close. The batteries are in packs where many batteries are connected together.

They use Nickel Metal Hydride technology, instead of being alkaline or carbon, like the batteries you buy are your local store.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I believe it is a sealed lead acid battery. It will not last forever. I don't know what the replacement cost is, but I would not buy any used hybrid vehicles unless they had a brand new battery installed or were greatly discounted. My guess is they will last about five years at most.

I'm not looking for a hybrid anyway so I am not too worried.

Reply to
dbu`

speaking of, cant you get NiMH double a's at the store? in the rechargable packages?

Reply to
GoMavs

Correct.

"Sealed 168-cell nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery providing 201.6 volts; supplied by Panasonic EV Energy Co"

I've found NiMH batteries to be good but they aren't perfect by any means. With time battery technology should get better.

Reply to
dbu`

They even named the product, "Hybrid." I guess if they were letting Al Gore's son advertise for them, it would have to be High-brid, because the hybrid plants in his car make him high.

Reply to
Jeff

See # 7. The car may have a lead acid battery, as well, but it is not the battery that is used to propel the car.

As far as I know, except for some problems with the battery packs that did not involve the batteries themselves, there have few or no problems reported the the battery.

Are there lots of reports of batteries being replaced?

Good thing.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"GoMavs" ..

LOL

You're mean

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Technology almost always gets better with time, with the possible exception of operating systems made by companies in the state of Washington.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

A lot of info, incl. what you're asking in this post, is on the Prius pages of the Toyota website.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You can go to the web boards and hear all the braying about how they last forever, then you can to to alt.autos.toyota.prius today and read about the guy with an 04 with 41K miles and his traction battery just DIED out of nowhere for no good reason--and how he's glad he took the extended warranty.

Let's see, 3.5 years and 41K miles. Hmmmmm.....

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Excellent info. Also,

and
have info on hybrid cars. And, a lot more info can be found here by searching with terms like "hybrid cars", "toyota prius":

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

But that would be an exception rather than the rule. My uncle once told me about a new car that he bought that the engine blew a few blocks away from the dealer due to having been assembled incorrectly at the factory. I can't recall what model he said it was but IIRC it was a Ford. My point is that no matter how good a product is or how carefully it is put together there will always be early failures. Fortunately for Prius owners the failures do seem to be few and far between and I can only hope that the few that do inevitably fail do so within the warranty period.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Why? The battery died within the regular warranty period for the car's battery.

Let's see: One battery problem out of how many autos sold?

Reply to
Jeff

My father occasionally reminds me of the time he bought his 1970 Olds Cutlass new. It stalled the instant he drove it off the lot. LOL!!!

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I was driving a customers 00 4cyl Camry once for a wheel vibration concern, and the #3 connecting rod decided to eject through the block. That was a tough one to explain (for the service manager to the customer).

Reply to
qslim

And this has what to do with the Prius battery?

Reply to
Jeff

Not the battery, but rather the story we were discussing about someone's

04 Prius battery going out at 41K miles. The point was, ANYTHING can happen.

Lurk more often, and pay better attention.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty