Calif HOV lane

Hi Folks,

Just want to share what I've found out about the HOV (car pool lane) stickers. I spent most of yesterday learning about it.

If you live in most of california, just fill out the form on the DMV's page

and send it in with a check.

If you live in any county surrounding the SF bay, you have to jump through hoops. You need to get a special electronic radio transmitter before you get the sticker. The DMV page has incorrect information at this time, since the rules seem to be changing quickly and two dofferent goverenment agencies are involved.

The hoops are:

o You need to get a special FasTrak radio transmitter.

The transmitter is required so you will be properly billed when you use the toll bridges. This ignores the fact that some of us (most???) don't commute across a toll bridge. It's required anyway.

To get this transmitter, you have to mail in a copy of your registration which has to identify your car as a hybrid. Unfortunately, MY registration does not mention the model, just the make and VIN.

If you have an existing FasTrak automatic toll account, you have to trade it in for a new one.

The form has to be downloaded online, (a PDF) and printed out, then mailed in. You can't call it on or do it on-line. The PDF file will not print unless you have a recently updated copy of Adobe's Acrobat Reader.

They will mail you the transmitter and the special paperwork that the DMV is not expecting.

Note that this does not apply to people with hybrids in adjacent counties who do commute via the SF Bay area toll bridges. They don't need to get a transmitter.

o You need to send the DMV a form and $8 and your proof of FasTrak account.

As of today, the DMV still does not know that the FasTrak folks are telling us that we need a special trasnmitter, not the standard account.

A DMV employee told me to just send in the $8 and the form to see if it is accepted.

The form must be mailed, since the local DMV offices are not stocking the sticker.

o The Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA) has put out a contract for more than $800,000 to install fastrak readers on the 4 bridges that have dedicated carpool lanes.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to simply put up a sign saying "hybrids exit carpool lane here to pay toll"?

Please, if you are in california, please contact your state senator and assembly person and ask that they revoke that silly requirement. None of the other low polution cars (electric, CNG, vanpool, etc) are required to get an electronic tag, so why should we.

As a parting shot: Liz Figeroa, state senator for my area, did not know that almost 1/2 of all the hybrids in california are in the greater bay area.

Let your elected representatives know.

Daniel fa

Reply to
dbs__usenet

The odd thing about this law is that only the two Hondas and Prius are the ones that get the sticker. Owners of the other two Toyota hybrids, Outlander (?) and the Lexus 400 SUV, it doesn't apply to as their mileage is under 45mpg.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

B. Peg wrote in alt.autos.toyota.prius:

That's "Highlander". The Outlander is a Mitsubishi SUV. :)

And the Lexus hybrid SUV is the RX 400h ("h" standing for "hybrid", natch). :)

Reply to
Glenn Shaw

I never can remember the name of that vehicle for some reason. That's why the (?) appeared. Maybe I'll remember it now. ;o\

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

It's not too odd. Those cars are not as clean and don't conserve as much. They use the hybrid system to boost the power, not so much to conserve.

It is odd that the Battery Electric Vehicles (electric cars) are allowed in the HOV no matter how inefficient they are and no matter what power source is used to charge the battery pack.

Reply to
dbs__usenet

I suppose the concept is to encourage development along the lines of those cars. I don't know whether the strategy is sound but it makes some sense.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Dunno about the inefficiency argument. You'd need to argue it with the railroads as they also use almost the same technology (diesel engine runs generators to drive electric motors for the wheels). All said, less fuel consumption per mile is an efficiency gain, imo, leaving out the price of the car in the equation.

Only one I ponder is the Outlander, or whatever the damn SUV Toyota makes that I cannot remember, is a good example >:o( . The higher price of "that" hybrid is questionable for the minimal mpg gain on the sticker (almost 1-2mpg freeway and maybe 6-8 mpg in the city). Dealer salesman was disappointed with the numbers as well and all had hoped it would be higher. That one isn't enough for me, and I think the idea was to push the horsepower at a slight edge in mpg (very slight).

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

You missed the point that was being made. Not all electric cars are effcient. It depends on a lot of different factors, including the electronics, choice of battery and choice of motors. Some take more energy (from well to wheel) than a high effcieincy hybrid. Some of that energy is generated by burning coal; a large part of the power used in California comes from out of state coal powered plants.

So with that in mind, the Cal HOV lane access is granted to all electric cars, regardless of the efficiency or power source. That may help develop electric car markets, and maybe that's the reason for the automatic access.

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Does anyone know if the $8 fee is annual or a one shot deal?

Kari

Reply to
kari

It looks like a one-shot.

I found out (after waiting 3 weeks for a response) that you can simply drive to the FasTrak servcie center to get your special transponder. Unfortunately, there's only one and it's near fishermans wharf in SF.

They had not processed my application and the credit card I gave them expired, so I made the trip to SF.

It was Saturday, and Hybrid owners were coming in at the rate of 1 a minute. The average distance traveled by the folks that came in while I was there was about 40 miles.

I know I wasted almost 2 gallons of gas driving in there and back, and I suspect the others did too. Only one of the hybrid owners actually crosses a toll bridge with any regularity. So one out of 5 would get any value from the FasTrak device.

Now I have to wait for the DMV to process their part.

It's so ironic that getting an HOV sticker is causing thousands of drivers to drive tens of thousands of miles that they don't need to.

Again, if you are in California, contact your State Senators and Assemblymembers to let them know how messed up this is.

Reply to
dbs__usenet