Contrast Prius and Civic Hybrids

We are looking to acquire a 4 door hybrid in the fall, and are now entering the research phase, prior to the dealership visit phase.

We are long time (30+ years) Honda owners, but hybrids are sufficiently different to dispense with blind marque loyalty.

Can anyone contrast the pros and cons of Prius versus Civic Hybrid?

TIA.

Reply to
News

Here is Edmunds comparison: They compared the 05 Prius to the 06 Civic Hybrid, but both cars have had little change for the 07 models.

Motor Trend's comparison of the 06 models (along with two other hybrids):

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Thanks. Good backgrounders.

Any list denizens' 'real world' experiences?

My understanding is that ICE versus Motor use biasing software changes on these cars has been somewhat frequent and regional as well. Comments?

Reply to
News

Depending on where you live, there are many 4 door hybrid choices for you. Also, are you looking for a new vehicle, or will a used vehicle be OK for you? (If you want a 4-door with a manual transmission, you can only get that in a used Honda Civic Hybrid.) What size vehicle are you looking for?

I think the only hybrid that isn't a 4 door is the 2-seater Honda Insight (coupe), but that's only available as used now (no longer offered new).

The Civic Hybrid is currently alone in the compact car size category. (The older Classic (sedan, model NHW11) Prius was also a compact, now only available as a used model.) Be aware that the HCH underwent a design change recently (often the newer one is referred to as a HCH II in online groups), so not all of the information you may read only may be current. (For example, there are some times when the car is moving that the gasoline engine is not required to be on/you're in electric, in the newer HCH.) The HCH I compared pretty well in price and options and fuel economy and emissions to the Classic Prius, so it pretty much was whatever one you personally liked better on a test drive or for brand reasons.

In the midsize car category, there's a lot of choices: The Honda Accord Hybrid was a performance hybrid (with all the high- end gadgets as well), and not an effiency hybrid, so its sales were lackluster and also will soon no longer be offered new (but there are still some on the lots).

Then you've got the new Nissan Altima Hybrid. I haven't been following it much... but sales of the hybrid model is limited to 8 states at the moment.

The current NHW20 model Toyota Prius, which is a hatchback. Since it is a different size class than the Civic hybrid, I don't think that it is fair to compare it to the Civic.

The Toyota Camry Hybrid.

The Lexus GS450h. (Again, a performance hybrid...)

The Saturn Aura Hybrid (new model for Saturn, soon out as a 2008 model) Again, I don't know much about it, only that it is using the GM "hybrid" system and is fairly lackluster in efficiency...)

And then the SUV category is getting pretty full: Ford Escape Mercury Mariner Mazda Tribute (soon out as a 2008 mpdel) Lexus RX400h (performance, again...) Saturn Vue Green Line (barely better fuel economy than the Lexus RX400h!) Toyota Highlander Hybrid

I don't think that the "hybrid" pickup trucks are 4-door models, nor do I really consider them much of a hybrid (all GM products), so I won't mention them...

(Note that if you're looking for a hybrid tax credit on your US Federal income tax returns, that there is a sunset provision on the available credits. Toyota/Lexus already passed their trigger point, and no credit will be available for deliveries of new Toyota/Lexus hybrids on/after Oct. 1, 2007. I'd also suggest earlier rather than later for purchases of other makes of hybrids, to get the full credit as well.

7557,00.html ) I'd suggest that you just go out and test drive the available hybrids, and see what fits you and your needs better. And more research. Good luck!

mrv

They use completely different paradigms. With the Prius, you can drive on ICE, motor, or both. With the Civic Hybrid, you're always driving on both.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Not very current, so it may not apply as well to the current generation Prius: the "conventional wisdom" was that the Civic Hybrid was better suited to freeway travel while the Prius was the champion around town. The Prius has some reputation as being tiring to drive on freeways, but I don't find that particularly so.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've driven mine from Chandler, AZ to Las Vegas (once), to Sacramento (three or four times), to San Francisco two or three times, to LA once, and to San Diego once or twice. I didn't find it to be tiring at all, no more than driving an Acura TL was.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

And I've made numerous trips between here (Jacksonville, FL) and Olney, MD, about 740 miles each way, and find it considerably less tiring than driving my Geo Prizm was.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

I love my Hondas. I, too, am a 25+ year Honda owner. I have a superb Honda dealership with the only technician I've allowed to touch my Honda cars, ever. Honda cars have never let me down.

That being said, I recently got a company car--a Prius. (The other choice was a GM; no thanks, buddy, no thanks.) As I drive the car and look into it further, I am convinced that Toyota put some serious genius into this entire situation. They look at it as a system, found the weak spots, exploited the technology, and built one helluva package.

It's so good, both my wife and I have decided that we'd spend our own money on one.

Honda's system isn't bad, but Toyota's is so good, it makes Honda's system look all the worse.

Toyota's system leads to less maintenance. It has no starter, no transmission (those are expensive repairs nowadays), a straightforward efficient engine tuned to the task, the engine is disconnected from the wheels by the very ingenious Power Split Device (which replaces your transmission), the air conditioner is run off the battery and not off the engine, and so on.

In fact, disconnecting many accessories from the engine is part of what makes a hybrid good. When you choose not to disconnect these things from the engine, as Honda chose not to, you're giving up efficiency.

Imagine crawling through downtown during summer rush hour, the engine is completely off, you're idling from light to light using only the batter--and you're staying perfectly cool because the AC is running at full blast. It's not running at that half-blast that a normal idling car gives because it can't turn the compressor fast enough and power the cabin fan enough.

Imagine getting full power out of the system on demand because the engine isn't running the AC compressor directly.

The Prius is a large car, surprisingly so. Yet it turns on a dime. Try it. I don't know how they violated the laws of physics, but they did.

I just wish the Prius came with a trunk instead of a hatchback--but that's just me and my particular situation. For my own non-work purposes, a hatch would be fine.

The Prius is available with more high-tech goodies. If you're a geek, you love that.

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Very informative and helpful. Thanks!

Reply to
News

Is this highway behavior what various references to aftermarket front suspension mods refer to?

Reply to
News

I have no idea; I haven't seen any of those references. And the highway behavior is OK in my experience.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I don't recall having seen any, either. Do you have any links we can take a look at?

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Various references to "BT Tech" chassis stiffening mods (several) and "Tom's lower body brace" with same intent, integrated approach.

Reply to
News

On your Prius, probably. Not on mine. NHW11 Prius uses a belt-driven AC compressor. NHW20 Prius (current hatchback) is powered by the hybrid battery as you state.

My 2001 Prius has a trunk. 8) I like trunks, and since the current Prius doesn't have a trunk (hatchback), *IF* I needed to replace my

2001 Prius I'd either get a used 2001-2003 Prius or a Camry Hybrid, or maybe a HCH. (But I put
Reply to
mrv

Of course, the original poster was asking about buying a new car today, so your car is irrelevant.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Reread the OP's post. Where does it say the s/he is looking to buy a NEW hybrid. In fact, the OP mentions that they want a four door car. Since the Insight is no longer manufactured there would be no need to mention this if only new cars were being considered.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

For the record, we prefer to buy new (and hold).

Thanks.

Reply to
News

How silly of me to forget some of the other consumer hybrids on the market:

1997-2000 Toyota Prius, NHW10 model. Originally only sold in Japan, but is now showing up grey market in some other countries. Support/ parts/service outside of Japan is difficult, so I'd advise against it if you're not in Japan.

Toyota Crown (mild-hybrid), sedan. (Japan only)

and for the minivan/MPV set: Toyota Estima Hybrid and the Toyota Alphard Hybrid. Unfortunately, still only sold in Japan, but perhaps a few hybrid Estimas may be moving grey-market outside of Japan by now (same servicing concerns outside of Japan, though).

Reply to
mrv

Did you ever get a personal Prius or are you still using the company car?

Low center of gravity and a suspension tuned well tuned for the vehicle works well. When I recently had to drive my wife's Echo, I almost tipped over on a turn.

The cover over the rear area isn't adequate? I've seen folks who all but live out of that space on trips. The term "hotel Prius" comes to mind.

Recently, we're seeing the Prius prices on Ebay soften for the late model ones. I have suspected for sometime that the Federal tax credit, now expired, had inflated new Prius prices. Certainly, the overloaded features don't do anything to make them more affordable.

What is interesting is comparing the Prius to Corrolla, which seems to the vehicle of choise for mileage payback. Yet none of these comparisons include a feature-for-feature comparision. So manual transmission, low-scale Corrollas are used for price comparisons to the hatchback Prius.

Well no doubt, this is one of the better postings showing some degree of clue. Hopefully, you'll take this compliment is the spirit it is offered. But I am curious if you ever got your own or are still stuck with the company car?

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson