Prius Hybrid

I am thinking of buying a Toyota Prius Hybrid, but I am not sure how it all works. I'm not sure how reliable the whole hybrid system may be, or of any maintenance issues with them. Any comments from current owners would be appreciated.

Reply to
FKru

My 2005 works great after 20K miles. I drive 55 and get the stated EPA mileage. Haven't had any maintenance issues aside from a couple of recalls. Are they any cars on the road that haven't been recalled for one thing or another?

Reply to
Bill

It has a very good reputation for reliability. You get oil changes every 5000 miles, not 3000, because there is less stress on the gasoline engine. You should also rotate the tires every 5000 miles (this is in the manual), and use the recommended pressures or higher. The front wheels need higher pressure, most shops don't do this right.

I have run into no maintenance issues at all.

You don't have to know how it works; just drive it. You don't decide when to turn the engine on or off; it does.

If you pay attention to the displays, it will educate you to change your driving habits so you get even better gas mileage. I usually get

54 or 56 MPG, but sometimes have gotten 63 MPG.
Reply to
Jim Byrd

Consult "Consumer Reports" online or in a library. The current version of the Prius has been very reliable.

For tonnes of user reports see

richard schumacher

If you really want to know how the Prius works, go to Graham Davie's absolutely fabulous Prius web site:

Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

You drop the "Hybrid". The Prius only comes in one form.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

I just bought a 2007 Prius and had the same concerns. Honestly, I don't know what to expect. The only way I could get comfortable with the purchase was spend another grand on an extended warranty.

One option is with

menu has Prius accessories with sub-category Discounted ExtendedWarranty. It's only been a couple days since the money was authorizedand I'm still waiting for the paperwork. Seem's legitimate. Added some stuff, side moldings, clear mats to go over the carpeted mats, rear mats, cargo net, mudguards, I'm the worst on directions, the NAV system had really relaxed my driving somewhat. I'm happy with the purchase, fun to drive and pretty sure you will enjoy.

Reply to
jstox

Looks like someone has copied Graham Davies' site... The original lives here:

check the "Understanding the Prius" area)

Reply to
mrv

You don't need to know how the hybrid system works. Just drive it! Remember to put gasoline in, and follow the regularly scheduled maintenance guide (

), and you'llbe fine.

Consumer Reports has continually placed the Prius in its top picks list for both a used car and the reliability lists.

powertrain is warrantied in the US for 5 years/60,000 miles. the hybrid system is warrantied in the US for 8 years/100,000 miles (which includes the hybrid battery pack). If you live in a CA-emissions state, the AT-PZEV Prius' hybrid battery pack is further warrantied out to 10 years/150,000 miles. Warranties are NOT pro-rated, but full coverage.

Remember that Toyota had the first production hybrid on the road - the Toyota Prius has been out in Japan since 1997 for the 1998 model year. It was first introduced internationally in 2000 for the 2001 model year. In 2003 (for the 2004 model year) the car underwent a redesign (compact sedan to the current midsize hatchback, a better hybrid system, etc.). Toyota has since put this newer hybrid system on the Harrier (Lexus RX400H), Kluger (Highlander Hybrid), Camry Hybrid, Lexus GS450H, Alphard Hybrid, and Estima Hybrids, with plans to put it into more models in future years.

You'll get way more information asking Toyota Prius owners:

and plenty of Prius information at:

mrv

Extended warranties are insurance, and like all insurance policies they are priced to make a profit for the seller, not the buyer. If one can afford to keep cash on hand to cover repairs it's less expensive to self-insure than to buy an extended warranty.

As the third year of the model a 2007 Prius should be the most reliable of what was already a very reliable line. Drive with confidence.

Reply to
richard schumacher

itimate.

I like the positive vibes, but I ain't very lucky. Thought the same about my 2 yr old Mitsubishi wide screen TV (65713). They just ordered a new DM module, part and labor $1100. Warranty was only good for a year and we didn't get the extended, really sucks.

The Prius is a computer on wheels, With my luck, $990 probably a good investment.

Reply to
jstox

My Mitsubishi big-screen DLP is also crapping out, but it is only 3 months old. Lamp keeps acting up (least it's on their tab for $350 ea.). First blew in 2 weeks. Then maybe a month out. Now it's conked out again three months later. Sitting around watching the little blinking yellow LED really is annoying while waiting for the bulb changer man to show up in about a week.

Calling their 1-800 service help is in India (maybe). They just read back the troublshooting info in the owner's manual and then tell you to call service - and wait.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

My Sony Wega's bulb went out after 7000 hours, and during replacement the tech called to find out if a certain electronic part he happened to have on hand could replace the one in the TV, since he was at my home already. It was an updated module and it was recommended that he do so. The bulb ($200) plus part and labor at no cost. I personally didn't rack up all those hours. Mine was a demo that cost me less than what the dealer bought it for. I had it for such a short time the bulb would have been replaced anyway without a service agreement. But I think the service agreement helped sway them to install the updated module. I hope for your sake they can find out why your TV is blowing out bulbs. Maybe someone back at the shop is handling them bare handed. Who knows....

Reply to
mark digital©

The repairman came and went. TV still doesn't work as the guy carries no bulb for it with him. He says "It's too new and there's too many bulbs to stock." Ugh! So "We'll have to order one from Mitsubishi." He said they should last between 9 months and maybe 2 years. "Wouldn't hurt to have a spare on hand, btw."

Least the little 19" widescreen LCD still is workin.'

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Sheesh, this just get's worse. Repairman called to inform the DM module is backordered and Mitsubishi's shipdate is Novemeber 15th. I'm livid. Use to be a time when Japanese quality meant something. This is definitely my last Mitsubishi product, totally unacceptable. My stellar luck continues,

What is that crap, $200 bulb, and needs replaced evry 9m-2y. Holy cow.

Yep, at least for me, wise decision getting the extended warranty on the Prius. On my 3rd tank, avg 46.4. This is a cool car, fun to drive.

Reply to
jstox

That blows big time!

I'm afraid this is gonna be a real drag. The TV man said "It could be the ballast," but until he gets a lamp for it he won't know. So then I'll wait another two weeks for that frickin' part.

You'd think if they sold the damn TV they'd at least keep a spare lamp in stock, but nooo....

It's only a mere $300 (!!!) so he said when I asked about keeping a spare around in case it pukes another lamp. Probably will quit making them in a few years. The guy said the LG TV's all use a different lamp, fwiw. He said some of them go up as high as $600 per lamp! Now I'm sorry I pitched the JVC 27 incher when this big black screened (i.e. no light) Hi-Rez monster with a single flashing yellow LED on the front showed up (I put some tape over it).

I'm still debating that one. I got the fork-it-over letter regarding the Prius extended warranty lying on my counter now.

Dunno.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

I was getting discouraged with my TV set when it would lose it's channel lineup and all the manual channel labeling. The least amount of pressure from one's fingers over the remote control's buttons would turn the set off and then on rapidly, which of course you know isn't good for the electronics. Oddly enough, it was weak batteries causing the problem. Speaking of masking off with tape, I've got a Sony cordless answering machine with an irritating blinking red led; not for any messages, but to let me know it's a new caller ID. Big deal. I put a small swatch of duct tape over it to keep me from thinking I have a new message. mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

I agree completely. The 2001 and early 2002s had a handful of design problems (mostly covered by extended item-specific warranties now), while the later 2002s and the 2003s were really solid. The 2004 redesign introduced a few more problems that were addressed in the '05s and '06s. The '07s and on to the next redesign should be paragons of reliability. There will probably be lemons, but Toyota does a great job of keeping those to a minimum.

It's worth noting the 100K mile / 8 year hybrid system warranty for the benefit of those worrying about surprises in the hybrid system. Few people have had to take advantage of the hybrid system warranty.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

the car is reliable with one flaw - it runs much of the time on batteries that have an 8yr, 100k mile warranty - after which replacement is around $7,000..so, if you can drive it for about 75k miles and sell it...........should be very reliable/economical.

bob

Reply to
bob

problem is the hybrid system has an 8yr, 100k mi warranty - and the hybrid battery system is by far the most likely culprit on the car - and costs many thousands to replace.

bob

Reply to
bob