Having fun with Type A drivers

So this evening I was headed home on the access road, 38 mph, when I approached a pair of double-overpasses on the 50 mph limited access or
two stop lights. In my rear view mirror, I spotted the "type A" driver who was about to give me an MPG boost.
Now the problem with the Parkway is the on-ramps lead to the base of the overpasses. If one drives as expected, you are accelerating up a grade . . . MPG death. But I knew my "type A" driver would give me cover.
As I pulled on to the 'on ramp,' sure enough, the "type A" driver who had run right up to my rear bumper pulled ahead and on my left up the overpass. Once again, the "type A" had cut me off so I had no choice but to climb the overpass in the far right lane at the most efficient engine power point. . . . Amazing, we both reached the crest of the overpass at nearly the same instant in time but my dear "type A" was at least 10 mph faster.
Within a second or so, we were both on the down grade of the overpass but now my left lane was clear . . . the "type A" was racing off. I simple accelerated to the speed limit on the downgrade and pulled into the lane behind the rapidly departing "type A." Yet we were both very SMUG about our driving.
The "type A" had cut-off the Prius and so the Prius had climbed the overpass in the most fuel efficient power range . . . serendipity!
My MPG indicator showed 59.2 MPG and that is 94% low. The true MPG is 62.75 and a "type A" will pay their ego price at the pump ... soon!
Bob Wilson
In article

Are you saying you wouldn't have otherwise climbed the overpass in the most fuel efficient power range?
If not, why not? Why do you require someone else to force you to do what's right?
On 9/16/2011 10:30 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

He's a classic type D personality.

. . .
It was almost as fun as driving at a speed that catches every light green. Through out Huntsville there are multilane streets where holding the right speed means every light turns green just as you arrive. But there will inevitably the "Type A" driver who rushes to the next light and brakes to a stop. Meanwhile, the light changes and this Prius driver coasts right on through.
Even before I had a Prius, I practiced preventive braking. This means slowing the car with early braking and coasting up to a red light. You "win" against Entropy every time the light changes and you don't have to come to a complete stop. But a "Type A" driver makes it more fun when you glide by them because they were in such a pretentious rush to stop at the next red light. Of course, my style of driving is what Jesus would do:
"So the last will be first, and the first will be last." - Matthew 20:16
Bob Wilson
On 9/17/2011 2:07 AM, bwilson4web wrote:

Are you the exception or is everyone in HV a pious sanctimonious fraud?
Your 'WWJD' reference is purely a gratuitous throwaway in this "context".

We're pretty much like any other metro area. We have our 'rush minute' and a wide collection of characters.
Thanks to the small job market, we work on the principle of "don't f*ck your buddy" because you may have to ask them for a job in the future. This does a great job of moderating the self-rightous, yuppie nonsense that some consider "news."

How I live my life,"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" - Matthew 7:1-3. Of course this is "news" to those who hang out here to criticize Prius drivers.
When I'm driving and find a "Type A", one of those 'judgmental' types, I see opportunity. They shall clear my path to the promised land of +50 MPG mileage.
Bob Wilson
On 9/17/2011 4:19 PM, bwilson4web wrote:

Typical type D personality.

. . .

Actually type "cheap" as I had to put $35 in my tank earlier this week for three weeks of driving including commuting to work. But I don't mind at all that "news" has to pay more to get less. <GRINS> It just means "news" has that less disposable income.
Bob Wilson
On 9/17/2011 5:14 PM, bwilson4web wrote:

Chump change, piker Bob.

. . .

. . .

Exactly!
The Prius goal is to come to as close to free driving as possible. Since "news" spends more, the more the merrier, Prius owners everywhere win.
Bob Wilson
On 9/17/2011 9:45 PM, bwilson4web wrote:

Yep, you be the chump.

The Prius goal is to come to as close to free driving as possible. Since "news" spends more, the more the merrier, Prius owners everywhere win.
Bob Wilson

Site Timeline