Fall and Spring, prime Prius weather

Over the years, I've plotted MPG vs temperature and found 80-85 F is an ideal temperature. Temperatures below 55F require longer warm-up and above 85F often require air conditioning. But between 55-85F, is the Prius sweet spot.

So today I ran various errands around town: dogs to the nature trail; shopping at Costco; late lunch at Ed's Pizza; and home again. Being a Sunday, we didn't have enough pickup trucks towing lawn equipment in trailers on the Parkway. So I pulled on to the access roads and just enjoyed the day.

While I was enjoying the drive, I thought about how much we appreciate our fuelish SUV and gas guzzler owners who pay so much in road taxes. Of course, it is only fair because they tear-up the roads. There is justice in their paying the price of their fuelishness.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
bwilson4web

Let's be realistic: most people are going to run their A/C long before it hits 85F. In fact, you are *supposed* to do so, to keep the battery pack cool. I've found that using the A/C in Eco mode (it cycles less often and produces a more "cool," less "cold" air stream) makes little difference in MPG, however. Above about 83F we can get 55MPG average. below that it's 53-54. Below 50 the mileage starts to take a real hit.

Reply to
Leftie

ever run several weeks at 10 degrees F? With high winds?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

What's the MPG hit in the northern winter? Are they still skittish in cross-winds?

Reply to
News

Dunno about the 2010 on up models, but the 04-09 models are a bit skittish. OTOH, I've learned to deal with it to the degree that I don't notice it anymore.

Trust me, 10 deg F and high winds to drive against will pull that baby down to between 30 and 35 mpg in the blink of an eye.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

What's the MPG hit in the northern winter? Are they still skittish in cross-winds?

I've experience a mileage hit of about 5% at temperatures as low as -30F. No surprise considering the energy required to deal with fluids and cabin heat at such extremes. Skittish in cross-winds? Nothing compared to the SUV and Mini-Van I previously owned. As far as wind is concerned, the Prius does well at minimizing the effect of a headwind and maximizing the effect of a tail wind. You should drive one some time.

Reply to
Al Falfa

Dunno about the 2010 on up models, but the 04-09 models are a bit skittish. OTOH, I've learned to deal with it to the degree that I don't notice it anymore.

Trust me, 10 deg F and high winds to drive against will pull that baby down to between 30 and 35 mpg in the blink of an eye.

Now on my second Prius and living in an area with both wind and temperature extremes (western Minnesota) my worst tank ever was 48 mpg. Yes, one can achieve lower instantaneous readings. Perhaps this is what you mean by "in the blink of an eye."

Reply to
Al Falfa

No, I meant tank average.

Driving on the freeway against headwinds at 10 deg F, with the cabin heat on becuase *I* want to be warm, is not the Prius's strong suit.

35mpg at best.
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No, I meant tank average.

Driving on the freeway against headwinds at 10 deg F, with the cabin heat on becuase *I* want to be warm, is not the Prius's strong suit.

35mpg at best.

I've never consumed an entire tank at high speed in cold weather against a strong headwind. I once consumed an entire tank at high speed in warm weather with a strong tailwind and averaged 70 mpg. I suppose the average of our experiences would be 52.5 which is very close to the lifetime mileage (only 20K miles) on my 2010.

Reply to
Al Falfa