Hybrids saving most money: Camry, Malibu, Altima

"mack"...

It is because the Prius is a better overall design. That is all it is. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Cathy F." ...

I got 54.7 MPG on a tankful for a trip that was mostly interstate in my Prius over the July 4 weekend. It can indeed be done. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Everybody was out on the road to celebrate the holiday, there was heavy traffic and stop & go mostly on the interstate? =)

Reply to
EdV

And here I thought they were celebrating the overpopulation of our species.

Reply to
Was Istoben

"EdV" ...

LOL indeed. Actually, we were discussing the dearth of vehicles on the road due to the cost of gas. We just cruised right along. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Just think, three years ago we could have slapped a buck a gallon tax on gas to encourage conservation and the overall price would probably be lower today. Why, the 450 million raised each day would have paid for our pointless war. The debt would be lower, the dollar higher and oil about 50 buck a barrel. Could this have been a great world or what????

Reply to
Was Istoben

On Jul 16, 10:02 pm, "Tomes" wrote: , there was

I've seen one gas station in Central NJ which offers discount of

12cents /gallon if you pay in cash and not by card. I hope many stations will follow
Reply to
EdV

Apparently retail credit card contracts have changed. They one I entered into ten years ago prohibited discounts for cash.

Reply to
Was Istoben

In the 1982, credit card contracts prohibited surcharges for using the card, but said nothing about discounts for cash. I haven't heard about any changes to that in the past twenty years.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

"Michelle Steiner"...

That is a problem. I always thought that charging a different price for credit was against the agreement. There must be a loophole somewhere. The price advertised (what I see in NJ anyway) is a price, then you get to the pump and find out that they charge extra for a credit card. I then drive away... Some [only some] say cash price on the pole.

And it is not a cash discount, it is a surcharge for credit cards. The competitive price is the one one on the pole. If the price differs upwards, it is a surcharge. Would I pay a surcharge at a restaurant? Nope.

While I understand that some folks still want to pay with cash, the economy is moving to or has moved to an electronic basis now. I know I don't want to carry around hundreds of dollars on me and also be going to the ATM constantly. I go get cash to go get gas? I think not.

I googled this a little bit and here are some interesting discussions, fyi:

are more. I googled for this 'credit card retailer agreement surcharge'

In particular from here

I read this: "A. No. Section 167 of the federal Truth in Lending Act states: "No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check or similar means." Bankcard companies also include in their agreements with retailers a section that prohibits businesses from imposing a surcharge on credit card purchases. Businesses that violate this or any part of their bankcard agreement may be dropped from the bankcard program. However, businesses are allowed by law to offer a discount for purchases made by cash or check. Check your bankcard agreement to see what it says regarding these transactions. The difference between a surcharge for credit (which is illegal) and a discount for cash (which is legal) is the advertised price-a retailer cannot charge a credit card customer more for an item than its advertised price."

The price on the pole is the advertised price. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

A surcharge for using the card IS a discount for not using it.

Reply to
Was Istoben

These agreements vary and a retailer can shop the banks (brokers) for the best deal on the same card or combination of cards.

I agree with you regarding the use of credit cards and take advantage of the cash premium. Still, financial counselors advise people who have trouble living within a budget to use cash exclusively. Put your budget in your purse and you always know how much you have left, they say.

Reply to
Was Istoben

In effect, maybe, but not legally.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Gasoline prices is a different story completely; different rules from retail-store sales, as I understand it.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Usually the price on the post is Regular Unleaded Premium Unleaded Super Unleaded

The price, or advertised price, on the post for this gas station is:

3.89 4.01 From a far you will think the 3.89 is regular and 4.01 is the premium right? but when you reach the pump it says cash and credit price. You look back at the big post and the fine print will show cash and credit as well. I didn't have cash so I drove away and pumped up on a 3.94/gallon station cash and credit.
Reply to
EdV

Bet they include checks in their definition of cash. At least they should now that checks can be processed immediately by EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer) thereby eliminating the dishonored check problem. I have EFTs going both ways and have yet to be charged a fee. You don't even have to fill out the check and it is handed back to you after the transaction.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Also for Ford and others. That company is light years ahead on hybrid development and do they know what hybrid models to bring out.

Reply to
Just Facts