Low Resistant Tires

Several years ago there were 4 low resistant tires listed here. Does anyone still have that list? My Toyota dealer has no idea what a low resistant tire is. I gave the list to them back then. They said they had a better tire. It lowered my average mileage 10 mpg. A month later I complained. They changed them. It then lowered my mileage only 5 mpg. Of course they lost the list. I'll be getting a new set soon somewhere but It won't be from them. Help.

Reply to
EARTHLINK EAST

LRR Low Rolling Resistance Tires

Reply to
News

"low rolling resistance"

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Reply to
casagiannoni

They are usually rock-hard, last forever, but don't grip.

Reply to
News

Reply to
casagiannoni

and, of course, low rolling resistance = low braking ability, which of course = issues with steering at higher speeds...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

Low resistance = low resistance. If it's designed not to present resistance to the roadway, then it's designed not to present resistance to the roadway.

Stopping is just like going, but in the opposite direction...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

The National Academy of Science discusses LRRT issues here:

924&page3 For reference, the Prius OEM Bridgestone tires provide an estimated 3% lower rolling resistance, with the tradeoffs being a wear rating of 160, which is about half the 300-400 one sees on even performance tires (even other Bridgestones) providing far better wet and dry traction, braking and cornering performance.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

I would say the observed results on the Prius Bridgestones make it an open and shut case for big compromises.

Reply to
News

Ah, you're one of those who insists that anyone who does anything you don't like--for whatever reason--must be a "troll".

Got it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

Got any of your own? Or will it be ?

Reply to
News

But I didn't do that, so your declaration is bullshit.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You have the best answer so far. If you want the car to be as good as original then replace the tires with as near to original as possible. Toyota engineers use what they think is best for the application. I guess I don't understand why a person would buy a Prious and not use factory equivalent tires. I mean a person buys a Prious for a reason why change what it is?

Reply to
Mr. Austerity
Reply to
Bruce Richmond