Mileage Increases With Age?

I bought gas for the first time today at 348 miles. Mileage based on fill-up amount has been 43.1 thus far. As a retiree, I don't do much stop-and-go driving; most of these miles were on suburban or semi-rural roads at between 35-50 mph, with a few Interstate miles. Normal, I imagine?

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Maybe normal for a new Prius and a new Prius driver. Jack up the tire pressure putting the front tires at 42 and the back tires at 40. Use cruise control whenever practical. Brake lightly starting further back from lights than people generally do as this will recover energy and store it in your batteries. Those short, five minute trips are the mileage killers because the engine runs for the first five minutes to warm the catalytic converter. They are tough to avoid. Using the screen and carefully controlling gas pedal pressure can put you in stealth mode when otherwise the engine might run.

Reply to
Bill

Davoud:

Bill:

That's pretty much the way I drove before Prius. I think I learned most of that in high school physics class.

Yeah, I'm sure that's good advice but I'm probably not going to drive that way and I don't think I'm willing to get as hung up on that screen as many Prius drivers are. My wife has already joked about Prius drivers moving along at 20mph in the slow lane on the Interstate. This serves two purposes, she says -- it saves fuel and it prevents grave injury when they run off the road and hit a tree while staring at the Trip Information display! Haven't turned it on since she said that...

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

If you divide 7 into 348 you'll come up with 49.7 mpg. I think your dealer may have shorted the fill by a gallon.

Reply to
mark digital

For the first tank, yes.

Reply to