Rear axle volume...

I just changed the 80w90 Gear oil in the rear axle on my 88` Wrangler. I think it is a 35C...there is a little metal tag on one of the Axle bolts I can only make out the C....anyway according to the Clinton guide the rear axle should only take 2.5 pints of 80w90....My rear axle only has one plug so I think I have to fill it until it dribbles out of that hole? It took the whole bottle of gear oil (1quart) but the level is still a bit bellow the filler hole (fingered it). I changed it at work, which has a level cement floor.... I think I will check it tomorrow. Should I add some more? Thanks Boris

Reply to
Boris

Add untill it runs out of the hole on level cement. Do you have limited slip?

HTH,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

No limited slip....it is a 88` 3speed auto w/a Jasper rebuilt (about 30,000 miles ago) 258-6 w/weber 2bbl, all the pollution stuff is gone, 5" lift and

35" on 16" rims...getting about 10 mpg, (city+highway) does that sound about right? At start up (always starts at first attempt) it misses some until warmed up...going to get new plugs and wires tomorrow. Boris

Boris

Do you have stock (3.07) gearing? You could be doing much better on fuel if you had the correct gears. Hopefully Mike R will chime in with some tips on tuning your carb for better economy. IIRC, he gets around 23mpg with a 6cyl CJ on 33's.

As far as the rear end goes, park it on level ground and fill untill oil runs out of the hole and you should be all set. Did you change the front diff oil?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Don`t know what gearing I have .....2000-2200rpms at 60mph....don`t know if the previous owner changed the speedo gear or not. Didn`t change the front gear oil yet, ran out of oil...tomorrow. The previous owner also ran without both swaybars he had lost the disconnect tube on the left side, so I bought a replacement and installed it..steering seems a bit tighter and more confidant. The yj needs a new muffler so I bought a muffler+tailpipe the system on there now has no tailpipe, well actually it does a 6" tailpipe from the muffler. I thought maybe it had something to do with rock climbing...what do i know! Of course the standard tailpipe won`t fit with the lift + Plastic/Rubber 20 gal fuel tank! As I found out. Is there so such a thing as a flexible tailpipe similar to those flexible gas lines for your gas stove? Thanks Boris

Reply to
Boris

Ummm, 2 pints to a quart. :)

Lurch

Boris wrote:

Reply to
Eric Karr

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

You can indeed buy flexible exhaust pipe. Your local parts store should know where to get it. It is expensive and doesn't last a real long time though. A later model YJ tail pipe may fit. The FI models all had a 20 gallon fuel tank.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yep I`m stupid... Thanks Boris

Reply to
Boris

My TJ with 4 inches of lift has the pinion angle pointed upward slightly, so I had to jack up the rear end to get the recommended amount of fluid in it cuz the whole pointed down.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Talking about stupid! Checked my gas mileage, getting about 9mpg (a mix of city+highway driving). Today I had a friend drive the jeep while I checked in which position the NP231 selector gave power to the front wheels and which didn`t. The stick has four positions(according to the position diagram on the selector) 2H-4H-N-4L I only have 3 position that I can engage on mine...I was driving with the selector in the middle (N I thought) which gives power to the front wheels, Now I`m driving with the selector all the way forward, no power to the front wheels. So I assume that the selector knob is not the original? So all the way forward is 2w drive, pull down is

4w drive high, pulldown again for 4w drive low? My Chilton book doesn`t even give shift patterns! There are some pictures of the 4w drive selector and transfer case etc.
Boris

Reply to
Boris

I've heard but never seen that some cases only had 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo (no neutral).

The other possibility is that your shifter needs adjustment.

You need to be certain you do not drive on the roadway in 4WD as this will happen.

billy ray
2H=2wd high (normal) range 4H=4wd high range (part time only, when you need 4wd, otherwise you can break something) N=Neutral, if you were in Neutral you wouldn't be able to move 4L=4wd Low range (crawling) for increased torque/decreased speed (part-time only)

Your transfer case tag indicates an NP231, which should have a neutral.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thanks, I'll add that pix to my collection of NP231 failures.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Your gas mileage sucks!

I just checked mine again today and fully loaded for camping running 50 miles in 3rd gear 4x4 low and the rest on rural roads (top speed 50 mph) through towns with stop and go at lights and I just did 260 miles from the last fill up and put in 60 liters.

Conversions are a pain, but I believe that works out to about 17 mpg. I guess it would be city/off road more or less.

Just running on the highway, I normally get 21-23 mpg or so.

I have the 258 with the BBD and no computer turning 3.31 gears with 33" tires on a 3" lift. I kinda like that damned BBD, it performs for me and I don't mind doing a tune up every couple years....

Mike

Mike Romain

In article , Boris wrote: #Talking about stupid! Checked my gas mileage, getting about 9mpg (a mix of #city+highway driving). Today I had a friend drive the jeep while I checked #in which position the NP231 selector gave power to the front wheels and #which didn`t. The stick has four positions(according to the position diagram #on the selector) 2H-4H-N-4L I only have 3 position that I can engage on #mine...I was driving with the selector in the middle (N I thought) which #gives power to the front wheels, Now I`m driving with the selector all the #way forward, no power to the front wheels. So I assume that the selector #knob is not the original? So all the way forward is 2w drive, pull down is #4w drive high, pulldown again for 4w drive low? My Chilton book doesn`t even #give shift patterns! #There are some pictures of the 4w drive selector and transfer case etc. #

#Boris

Hi,

If you were driving a lot on pavement in 4H, you *may* have stretched chain in the t-case. If the chain stretches enough, you can wear a hole in the t-case.

The graphic on the shift lever is kinda misleading, if you don't know that the line is the shift pattern...

Your t-case shift movements should be:

2H 2wd high range | shift down to 4H 4wd high range

---- shift to the right then down slightly to N Neuteral for towing (leave transmission in 1st gear when towing) | shift down to 4L 4wd low range

You will know when you are in N because you don't go in any gear. You know you are in 4L, because you can start the car in 5th gear and not clutch the engine.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Thank you all..... Boris