New car

Ok I think I am convinced. I just ordered the prius with package 6 because some of the things in package 4 the wife wanted some things from 5 and you cant mix and match so we ended up with things that neither one of us want to get what we both wanted so package 6 it is. But I do have a questions since the engine doesn't start until you are under way how can you warm up the interior on cold days like most cars also haw can you get the ice off windshields

Reply to
bigguy

Park in a garage :) Sorry, I couldn't resist that. Obviously it's not an option for you.

When first started, the Prius engine will run as needed to warm up the emission system. It normally starts 30-60 seconds after pushing the Start button, because it needs time to cycle coolant from the "thermos" back into the engine system (you can drive almost immediately after pressing Start:). Emission warm-up is one of the main reasons winter mileage suffers, but it also gives you a source of engine heat.

PLUS, the Prius has electric heating coils that come on as needed. This was designed in because, as you've already observed, the Prius engine system's efficiency also reduces it's waste heat.

BUT. . .consider the mileage and emission impact but letting this (or any) car idle just to warm up. This temporarily negates two of the main reasons why you probably bought your Prius. Finally, remember that everything will heat up faster if the car is actually being driven. . .

Reply to
Fred

There are 12 volt heaters available that plug into the cig lighter outlet.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Reply to
bigguy

I don't understand the problem. I have a Ford Explorer and a Prius. I live in MN. I warm either of them up by starting the engine. I remove the heavier ice and snow with my broom/scraper. I set either of the cars to direct warm air toward the windshield. The only difference between the Prius and the Ford is that once the Prius cab is warm the engine will shut off, thereby saving me some gas. Yes, the Ford does have AstroStart and when it was my only car, I used that occasionally. I probably wouldn't do that now given the price of gas.

Reply to
Bill

Much as I hate to reply to my own posts, I re-read the question and have a better answer:

If the climate control system is set to auto and the interior is colder than the temperature to which you have it set, the gas engine will start right away, whether you drive or not. From what I've observed, the gas engine runs a lot during the first five minutes even if the climate control is off, probably to warm it up so the many transitions between gas, electric and both will be smooth. The first five minutes after starting I get a louse 35 mpg, only twice what the Explorer gets. After that warm-up period it settles into it's EPA rating.

Reply to
Bill

Don't worry, you won't need them. Users in Canada, Minnesota, North Dakota report that the passenger compartments of their Prii warm up at least as fast as do old-style cars. Fuel economy does suffer in the winter, sometimes getting as low as 30 MPG.

Reply to
richard schumacher

"this is not acceptable for a 27K car?" Why not park it in your living room and move the coach and tv outside? they aren't worth 27K. makes about as much sense, doesn't it?

KK

Reply to
Kevin Kirkeby

"bigguy" schreef in bericht news:D5w3e.22218$jX6.1372@okepread02...

I have the impression that the cabin of our Prius gets warm even faster than in our other 2 conventional cars. It really isn't a problem. The petrol engine just runs for the first 5 minutes after starting in order to get everything warmed up.

mvg, Emmanuel

Reply to
Gompie

Who told you the engine doesn't start until you are under way? It was a lie. When you power up the car, within about 7 seconds, the engine will start regardless. The car must heat up the catalytic convertor to acheive its low emission rating. Don't worry, the car will burn your gasoline to keep you and the car warm. As a result, the gas milage for the first 5 minutes is always the worst. If all your trips are shorter than 5 minutes, don't even dream to meet the EPA milage estimates.

Reply to
Caloonese