Offsetting your SUV

If you plant some trees, is it OK to drive an Escalade? The question isn't as silly as it sounds. People worried about global warming increasingly are trying to "offset" the carbon dioxide - the leading greenhouse gas - they spew into the atmosphere when they drive, fly or flick on a light. One idea popular with the eco-conscious is to have trees planted for them. You get to keep driving and flying, but those trees are supposed to suck in your trail of carbon.

Reply to
geneccc

I guess you could give those in prison for murder the ultimate carbon credit since they cut their contribution in half by killing another human being. If it was a young person younger than they, such as a child murderer, they would get more credit. There would also be a multiplier effect due to the resulting unborn if the person killed was prepubescent . People like Saddam Hussein should have gotten enough carbon offsets to avoid the death penalty anyway since he eliminated over a million trails of carbon dioxide. Maybe we can look at people like Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot in a new eco-light.

Reply to
Bill

Ooh, you're bad! ;-) You really don't want to hear my view.

The world is a wacky place. Amphetamines are notorious for destroying lives, but the one really useful thing amphetamines did for us was to destroy Hitler. I still shudder to think how close fascism was to sweeping the world.

I love one of Robert Fulghum's quotes from a source I don't recall: "We usually know what we do. We usually even think we know why we do it. What we don't know is what 'what we do' does."

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

  • How about this: Plant as many trees as you can and drive a Prius. There is no excuse at all for anyone driving a Cadillac Escalade.

earle

*
Reply to
earle

Many Americans want to drive an Escalade so they can be the envy of their peers.

Reply to
geneccc