Poor XM Reception: MICE!

It took two dealers to finally figure out that the loss of my XM reception in my 2010 Prius was caused by MICE CHEWING THRU ANTENNA WIRES! TIP: When you park, CLOSE THE AIR RECYCLING VENT to keep mice out. P.S. The repair coat over $700 (not a warranty item.)

Reply to
Scott Seely

$700 ?! Seriously? I remember it was just over $100 for the labor to put a brand new built-in XM radio in. You'd think a cable replacement would be even less.

But regardless, I have been struggling with reception since day 1 which would indicate mice (unless they have viciously attacked as soon as I brought the car in the first night) had nothing to do with it. I think it's the antenna, the high-power circuits all around in the car and probably just the location. They've glued mine to the dash in the right corner, just below the windshield.

If you're driving south (which is the location toward any satellite on a geosynchronous orbit), you're fine. If you're driving north and the signal has to pass through the roof to hit the antenna, you're most likely out of luck. It may work but you lose connection as soon as there is any additional signal obstacle like a small bridge overhead or you're just passing a truck.

It may also have to do with the Bluetooth connection in this car - it's working at 2.4GHz and XM as far as I know is 2.3 GHz - kinda close, may interfere with each other.

Anyways, just wanted to put this out as a data point for other people struggling with XM reception in a Prius - mice *may* or *may not* be the culprit.

Reply to
DA

In my 07, I mounted the ol' SkyFi2 underneath the radio pocket thingy, and ran the antenna wire straight up and onto the dash in the center.

Never a problem with reception, unless you count I-68 where they cut it through the taller mountains and the view to the south is blocked.

But going north, and even going under large local underpasses--and even sitting under them while waiting for a light to change--isn't an issue for me.

If the car itself is an issue, you might look at Bluetooth. I don't have it. If you do, see if you can turn it off.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

FWIW the Bluetooth connection in my 2010, which is invariably linked to my cell phone, doesn't interfere with my XM Radio reception.

Reply to
Al Falfa