Prius Hybrid

I bought one at 103K miles. I am too familiar with the Prius to be scared by the battery life. If it does fail, I expect to pay under $1000 for a used one.
Worry about something that has a bad reputation - the Prius hybrid battery has a stellar reputation.
Mike

i'm an electrical engineer who works with batteries for many yrs. the question isn't "if" it will fail, it WILL fail. batteries have predictable lives - like tires..but i'm not worried enough that it kept me from buying one.
bob

Of course you are right that it will fail sometime, but there is not nearly enough data to say when. We can say with certainty the expected battery life is considerably greater than 10 years, the length of time the Prius has been sold in Japan. Since the failure rate on those is still not significant enough to provide useful data, that's all we have. The life will be predictable when we get the data, but not yet. I would be surprised if more than a handful last 50 years, but 20 (already common for industrial lead-acid batteries) wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Mike

industrial lead acid work in a/c environments and those are not maintenance free..sealed batteries give 20 yr warranties but rarely last more than 8-10...still, i hope you're right.
bob