Prius Power - Plug-in the other way

Hi,

Let's survey current and future Prius-inverter practices:

NHW11 - Off the shelf, 1kW, modified sine wave inverter

This model Prius can generate 1 kW of DC power and has been documented in:

My first modification, it has been used an average of once per year since 2005. It also provides AC power for laptops when traveling. The inverter cost $80 in 2005 and still goes for $80 at Harbor Freight. Doug Schaefer has an 800W sine wave inverter in a similar configuration.

Due to the higher power from the ZVW30, a 1.5kW off-the-shelf, sine- wave inverter will go into my wife's car. We will also upgrade the 12V battery for something capable of handling the surge power, 3kW.

NHW20 - Modified UPS from Traction Battery

Described in:

It provides 3kW of house power but only at the house, The electronics are integrated into the house and the otherwise stock Prius can only supply power to one location.

XXXXX - Direct from Prius Inverter

When parked, the inverter has the ability to generate over 30 kW of AC power to drive MG2. It is three phase lacking only the interface, filters and control electronics. The Prius becomes stationary in high power mode so mobile, AC power can be handled by smaller units.

Co-generation

There Prius exhaust can be routed through a 'gas heater' to make hot water. The engine compartment heat can be captured and used for space heating. The only thing missing is using natural gas to substitute for gasoline.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
bwilson4web

I just got more technical details about the inverter and found the surge is time limited based upon the load:

load > 1.5kW :: 400 ms. duration, 24 cycles

maximum surge, 3kW

Since I'm planning to replace the OE, 12V battery with an Odyssey PC925:

12.8V - 100% SOC 11.2V - 10% SOC 925A :: 12.8 V -> 7.2 V in 5 seconds ~1.1V/sec.

3,000 W / 11.2 V = 267A

Reply to
bwilson4web

Hi Bob, Since you posted this a few months ago, I have purchased a 1500 Watt pure sine wave inverter and plan to attach it to my ZVW30. Have you gone any further with your testing on your wife's car? I took a look at the car yesterday and was surprised by how small the battery cables seem to be. I don't have any technical information about the car's electrical system. Can the DC to DC converter (200v to 12v) really supply 150 Amps? I am wondering if I should start with something like an 80 amp fuse or breaker for initial testing. I would hate to destroy the converter or blow a fusible link. Or, can I really go to a full 1500 watts? (Surge is a separate issue I will have to deal with, but my current question is about continuous power).

Speaking of surge, you did some calculations above assuming the OE battery is replaced with a PC925. Do you have a feel for how much current can be drawn using the OE battery? (In other words, do you have the specs for the OE battery?)

Pat

Reply to
greenpjs