resetting gas gauge

Hmmm. I got gas last night (just after my third bar disappeared) and hit reset per usual, and the gas gauge never registered that I had added any gas. How can that be? So what can I expect--that it's gonna wait ultra-long to register that it is down another bar--or that it's gonna drop down per usual, and I have to remember there are three more bars, or?????

Any way to rectify this????

Reply to
Jean B.

It's a mystery to me, Jean. After working well all summer, my tank has been acting strange since the cold weather set in. Makes me think the bladder isn't pliable enough to fully expand. When I gas up, usually with one bar remaining, sometimes blinking, I'll take anywhere from 7 to 9 gallons or so. I don't press the reset button (it's supposed to do this automatically after a few minutes and always does) but I'm no longer confident in the "full" reading. All summer I used the "rule of 10's" (multiplying my mpg reading times 10 to estimate my range) but since the cold weather set in I get a blinking bar 100 miles before the product of that calculation.

Reply to
Bill

How much gas did you put in? If you filled the tank, it certainly should have registered. If you put in just a few gallons, read your manual, it says that it won't register if just a few gallons are added. Note that the reset button has nothing to do with the reading shown on gas gauge.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

In cold weather pump gas as fast as you can. No matter what the amount is when it clicks off leave it at that. Wait at least a minute before putting cap back on. I leave the cap off while I'm inside getting receipt. Tank reads full immediately. Something tells me you may be leaving the car "on" while you are pumping. Yes, no? I just came back from a 407 mile round trip to NH and back to MA. 70 miles an hour until reaching MA border (I-91) and there was snow and a huge backup right to exit 46 northern CT. I took the backroads to get home. 9.05 gallons at the same pump as when I left. I had the blinking bar and audio "ding" and message on the screen. Heck, it's better than only having a few ounces left.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

I always go just to the click--with power off. I think I must have misunderstood something I read because I though resetting also pertained to getting the gas gauge to register gas even if one is adding very little gas.... The little pause before the bars start going up probably reinforced my erroneous impression!

(I was topping off because I like having a full tank of gas on bitterly cold--MA--nights!)

Reply to
Jean B.