Temperature gauge problem.

Hi all,

My 2000 2.0l has just developed a peculiar temp gauge fault.

The car warms up as usual, the needle rises to vertical (as it always has) then starts to drop back towards cold, then rises towards normal again and then fluctuates between just off cold and normal as you drive.

Now I'm pretty sure that this is related to some temp sensor somewhere and nothing to do with the cooling system. I've done a gauge check (holding down the trip reset whilst starting) all show full sweep, not DTC errors to report, and the digital temp readout reflects the erratic behavior of the analogue gauge fluctuating between 60-85 degrees over a couple of minutes.

Another downside to this is that the petrol consumption seems to be suffering dropping about 20 miles on a tank full over the last couple of fill up's. I can only assume that the engine management system is using the reported temperature and adjusting the mixture accordingly?

Any thought anybody?

Reply to
Jon H.

"Jon H. clara.co.uk>" Hi all,

You either have a heat related poor connection to the CTS (under the inlet manifold on the Zetec E and a pig to get to) or a faulty CTS itself.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks Tim,

CTS? - excuse my ignorance :-)

Reply to
Jon H.

"Jon H. clara.co.uk>"

Coolant Temperature Sensor, or Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) as Ford now call them- as they screw into a blind hole on the Zetec SE engine- no contact with the coolant.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks Tim,

Just looked in the Haynes Manual, doesn't look too difficult - time to dust off the socket set next weekend :-)

Jon.

Reply to
Jon H.

Had the same problem with my 2001 Focus ZTS. Really cold winter this year, some days minus 25C. Took a long time to warm up and give good heat, changed the thermostat and the problem went away. Now the car warms up really fast and the gauge does not go down.

"Jon H. clara.co.uk>"

Reply to
Info