Bluetooth & GPS Question

Hello,
Know nothing about Bluetooth.
Son now has a 2015 Outback. Premium i No Navigation System; bit too pricey.
Question:
Is it possible with one of the small hand-held Garmin or Tom-Tom GPS models to have the display ported over to the main screen on the Outback via Bluetooth (which apparently the car has in some form) ?
Thanks, Bob

I highly doubt that either device has the capability to do that.

And you shouldn't need to. I just put my iPad mini on the passenger seat and let it speak the directions to me.
Patty

I learned the hard way that Massachusetts Avenue starts in Boston, crosses the river into Cambridge, then proceeds through several other towns and every time it crosses a border the numbering starts over from one.
--
John Varela

You're right about the signs, but the area is hardly rural and was urban even back in 1955 when the incident took place.

--
John Varela

[bunch of unneeded quotage deleted]

Where you live, is there never one town directly adjoining another? That's the case all around where I live.
And yes, we have streets that change names when they cross a city boundary.
Patty

Background: Every square inch of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is in either a city or a town.
Assuming that you are not in North America and are perhaps unfamiliar with what follows, I present it in acknowledgement that TWIAVBP:
The Greater Boston area encompasses the eastern third of Massachusetts, and its population today is about 4.5 million. It is the tenth largest metropolitan area in the US. I can't find census data for the 1950s, but Boston's ranking then would have been comparable. Believe me, we were in a populated area all the way.
--
John Varela

If the GPS is properly mounted atop the dashboard then looking at it is a lot safer than looking at, for instance, the speedometer.
--
John Varela

I never gave that any thought, to be honest. If you hadn't mentioned Auckland in a previous post, your use of the word "windscreen" would tell me that you don't live in the USA like I do. So, is this the case in NZ, you can't have something on top of the dash? Since we have 50 states with Lord knows how many cities, towns, etc., it's quite possible that there are a myriad of local laws that may prohibit that here as well. I don't have an in-dash GPS in my Routan minivan. I use a TomTom that I mount on one of those heavy things you put right on the dash.

I believe it is illegal to attach anything to the windshield in California. I live on the opposite coast so that doesn't concern me. If there are any other states with a similar restriction I haven't heard of them. Of course, California is a biggie.
--
John Varela

On 23/11/2014 2:19 PM, John Varela wrote:

I'd say that's right, it's closer to your line of sight than most of the cars own instruments are, and glancing at the instruments are not distracted driving hazards. If anything, glancing at the instruments are absolutely necessary for the operation of the car.
    Yousuf Khan