the interior...

What can be done about the interior? A lot of it looks like it is going to be marred very easily--and I say that as one who has never damaged a car's interior. Why the very cheap-looking mat plastic? And the not-too-robust-looking cloth, including on the console? Is this stuff more sturdy and mark-resistant than it looks?

(Mind you, it's worth the MPGs and other factors, but is just a bit surprising to me.)

Reply to
Jean B.

Yes. It's a miracle fiber.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

That's good to know. Nonetheless, I did order a console cover, and I might order some other stuff too.

Reply to
Jean B.

Jean,

I spilled coffee on mine and, to my surprise, it cleaned up easily with a mild solution of dish soap and warm water. Likewise I had no problem removing mud from the floor mats. Stop by the Wal-Mart optical ship and pick up a small sample bottle of the cleaner they use for coated lenses and some of their microfiber cloths. Keep those in your console to clean the LCD screen. They give free refills.

Reply to
Ingenuous

Wow! I'm impressed. That cloth just doesn't look very sturdy--or like it would clean up well. I guess looks can be deceiving, and I am happy to hear that.

Thanks for the clue re the LCD screen. The salesman left some BIG fingerprints on mine, and I haven't gotten to that point in my reading, assuming it is mentioned there.

Reply to
Jean B.

The seat covers are actually fairly robust, and can take quite a pounding. They clean up very well with a mild solution of soap and water, but if they are heavily soiled a good detailer with an extractor machine can clean them up very nicely.

What color interior do you have? A lot of the cars are coming with a light tan ("Desert Sand"?) interior and it does stain easily, but cleans well.

The best thing, if you can, is get Simonized. Simonizing sells at a dealer for $299-599, and includes the outer teflon finish, but also an interior spray that is better than ScotchGard.

The BIG difference (and the difference in price) is the Guarantee supplied with Simonize. We had a woman spill a gallon of ammonia in her RAV4; we removed the carpet and hit it with the extractor. i told her the smell would probably dissapate in a couple days. It didn't. The Simonize comapny replaced her rear carpeting and had us re-Simonize the new carpet at no charge to her.

I am a professional detailer at a Toyota dealer. I really can't tell you how long the exterior finishing will last, but the whole system is guaranteed for 5 years, even if you spill a gallon of ammonia in your car.

Obviously, the first place to check is your dealer, but shop around; there is a wide rang of prices for the service, and you don't HAVE to have it done at the dealer where you bought your car.

Reply to
Hachiroku

After 15 months the upholstery and plastic in mine look new. There have been a few complaints in the blogs about the center console cover coming off.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Thanks for that information! I am not sure simonizing is good for the occupants or the planet and would have to check that out. I am glad to hear the interior is not as easily damaged as one would think from looking at it. Mine is gray. The seat covers are pretty light in color.

Reply to
Jean B.

I bought a console cover (and the Prius mats). I guess I will leave it at that. I am glad the materials are sturdier than they look.

Reply to
Jean B.

i like the seats. They are sort of like Neoprene (wetsuit material)

Reply to
Hachiroku